SQL Server Developer Edition

• Hi everyone,

I purchased recently a Dell PC, and I'm forced to install win xp pro, since when I try to install win 2000 server, it's just saying that I don't have a HDD. Weird.

Making the story short , my problem is that I found out that I can install only  SQL Server Developer Edition on XP Pro.

If I create an web application, will I be able to access the DB from the local machine via ASP (ASP.NET) and ADO (ADO.NET), having only the Developer Edition?

Thx a lot

• Yes.  Developer edition is just like Enterprise, but limited to 10 connections (you can even cluster with Developer edition).  I assume you are a developer, and this database will be for your application development, so the 10 connection limit will never be a problem.

BTW, does your win2000 install say it doesn't have a hard drive?  Or, did the machine come formatted for XP with NTFS? Win2000 will not recognize XP's newer version of NTFS, and cannot install on that.  But you should be able to delete the partition and have win2000 setup create and format a new partition.

Mark

Mark

• From Microsoft:

[SQL Server Developer edition] includes all of the functionality of Enterprise Edition but with a special development and test end-user license agreement (EULA) that prohibits production deployment (for complete details, see the SQL Server 2000 Developer Edition EULA at http://www.microsoft.com/sql.

The answer is yes - developer edition will allow you to develop ASP - remember that you may not use this version on a production web site.

Mharr is right - you might format your hard drive and then install Win2K Server.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Thx mharr. So, now I can go ahead with all the software installation for the new PC. I just wanted to make sure, that I will not spend 10 hours installing everything, and then realizing that I can't use SQL & ASP.NET

Yes, the PC came with XP Home Edition already installed and when I started to boot from the Win2000 CD in order to install the new OS, after the initial driver instalation, I was receiving a message on the blue instalation screen that no harddisk detected, etc...

Even the guy from Dell didn't know what is wrong.

So, in conclusion, if you are saying that this happend because of the new NTFS, you are BEST!!!

Thank you again

• Thx to PBirch, too.

Sorry I did't see your response only after I posted mine.

• No problem.

Quand on parle du loup, on en voit la queue

• Your HDD problem could be related to using an SATA drive.  Win2K doesn't detect SATA on it's own.  You have to tell it to load a SCSI driver, then give it the SATA driver from a floppy that hopefully Dell will have at their support site.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply