SQL Server Azure - SSIS questions

• Hi,

We are using SQL Server on-premise with some scheduled tasks (SSIS packages) that connects to an Oracle Database and import some data. To carry out these task, we installed the ODBC native driver from oracle installing the oracle client (we haven't used the generic ODBC drivers because some problems with some characters)

Now we are planning to upload our SQL Server to the Azure Cloud, and I have some questions:

1 - Is it possible to migrate, upload and schedule SSIS tasks in Azure?
    2 - Could I install the oracle client in Azure? Another alternative?

• Azure VM with SQL, or SQL DB?

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------Standing in the gap between Consultant and ContractorKevin3NFDallasDBAs.com/BlogWhy is my SQL Log File HUGE?!?![/url]The future of the DBA role...[/url]SQL Security Model in Plain English[/url]

• If you are using Azure SQL VM than just it is just like have a VM in which you can install drivers and migrate SSIS packages to. For Azure SQL DB, it is bit tricky, the Azure SQL DB, there is no SQL agent nor SSIS. Don't know if it is the best way but the way I am doing it is to have the DB in Azure SQL Database. Have a VM SQL server with the standard edition and place the SSIS packages and job in there. Inside the SSIS packages, the destination connection is  Azure SQL DB so when the jobs complete the data is in Azure SQL Database. This way I don't have to use automation in Azure SQL database and use the jobs to schedule whichever way I want.

Thanks
    B

• Azure Data Factory V2 which is currently in preview apparently allows SSIS packages to run.  We have not tried it yet as we are waiting for managed instances to come along before we do anything serious.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/azure/data-factory/tutorial-deploy-ssis-packages-azure

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply