SQL Server 2000 Enterprise Edition on SAN

• How can I measure I/O operations for SQL Server activity only?

• I would think Performance Monitor would do that.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• I think your best bet for seeing only MSSQL data would be through profiler... I believe you can capture reads and writes with it. But it's not going to tell you how long it was waiting on the SAN just the number of reads or writes. I'm running against a SAN too and I use Perfmon to monitor the SAN disk activity. I usually check the Avg. Disk sec/(Read or Write) to see how long requests for read and write opreations to the SAN are taking.

• What are you trying to get exactly? PerfMon is more of an average overview, where Profiler can pinpoint specific items, but there may be other options too such as DBCC SQLPERF (IOSTATS) which you can reset and get a value over a period of time for SQL only acivity (it has a counterpart in PerfMon but not cumulative as it is).

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

• I want to track how many I/O SQL Server only is doing?

and how long for each I/O.

• I forget but I do believe there is a counter for at least averages of those two items in PerfMon but I forget the titles.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply