SQL 2008 on Windows 2008

• I'm going to be installing SQL Server 2008 on Windows Server 2008. While I've installed SQL Server 2008 before, I have zero experience with Windows Server 2008. Which, of course, leaves me with any number of questions about how to set up Win2008 for SQL Server. What options can I ignore? What roles must I set up? Are there any hidden "gotchas" that will burn you if you don't twiddle the right knob? I've been searching Google for info and all I'm finding just raises more questions.

What are your tips, tricks, gotchas, best practices, or advice on installing Windows Server 2008 for running a database?

Thanks in advance,

Steve G.

• I have done it a couple of times and I would start with a server that has as few roles as possible already installed. Don't install anything you absolutely don't need. I don't remember any real gotchas except on my dev box where I had VS2008 and SQL 2008 both installed, there was an install order that I can't quite remember, but it involved VS SP1 because the SQL tools had a problem with VS2008 without it..

CEWII

• In Windows Server 2008 is a Firewall included. You must open the Ports when you would administering with "SQL Studio 2008" from remote on your Win-Server.

• You will have to configure inbound rules for port 1433, 80 and 443 . The last 2 for reporting service and first one for sql server.

Plus rules for sqlservr.exe for sql server, msDTSsrvr.exe for ssis,reportingserverservice.exe for reporting service if u need it. I thinking other than this there is nothing complex about suing windows server 2008

• I have done couple of projects for SQL Server 2008 including Clustering and VM. There are some firewall rule policy that your System Admin needs to take care of after Windows Server 2008 installation. If you are installing multiple instance of sql server on cluster and if your license key is integrated than you need to remove license key for second instance before you start installation otherwise 2nd instance installation will fail.

[font="Verdana"]--www.sqlvillage.com[/size][/font]

• I had installed 3 instances on 3+1 windows 2008 Clauster. License key is integrated. I do not know how to remove the license key. But I had no problem to install.

• FYI, here's a .cmd file by rob kerr[/url] that will set the appropriate ports for the SQL Server services.

------ begin file ------

[font="Courier New"]@rem firewallconfig.cmd by Rob Kerr

@echo ========= SQL Server Ports ===================

@echo Enabling SQLServer default instance port 1433

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 1433 "SQLServer"

@echo Enabling Dedicated Admin Connection port 1434

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 1434 "SQL Admin Connection"

@echo Enabling conventional SQL Server Service Broker port 4022

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 4022 "SQL Service Broker"

@echo Enabling Transact-SQL Debugger/RPC port 135

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 135 "SQL Debugger/RPC"

@echo ========= Analysis Services Ports ==============

@echo Enabling SSAS Default Instance port 2383

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 2383 "Analysis Services"

@echo Enabling SQL Server Browser Service port 2382

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 2382 "SQL Browser"

@echo ========= Misc Applications ==============

@echo Enabling HTTP port 80

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 80 "HTTP"

@echo Enabling SSL port 443

netsh firewall set portopening TCP 443 "SSL"

@echo Enabling port for SQL Server Browser Service's 'Browse' Button

netsh firewall set portopening UDP 1434 "SQL Browser"

@echo Allowing multicast broadcast response on UDP (Browser Service Enumerations OK)

netsh firewall set multicastbroadcastresponse ENABLE

[/font]

------ end file ------

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply