Specifying an Active/Passive setup

• Hello,

I'm installing a cluster (in an Active/Passive setup) for the first time, and I'm running into a weird problem. My systems group set the two servers up for Windows clustering. When I tried to install SQL Server 2000 Enterprise on the cluster, everything went fine until I got to the screen that asks for an instance name. For some reason I the default instance box is greyed out and unchecked, and I can't specify the default instance. Is there somewhere (or way) I have to specify an Active/Passive cluster?

Thanks in advance!

• You are installing on the active node on the cluster yes?

• quote:

You are installing on the active node on the cluster yes?

Yes, I am installing on the active node. I even tried installing on the second node just to be sure, but I can't choose the default instance checkbox in either case.

• Clustering requires that you use a named instance. We have an active/active cluster and the servernames are A and B, the virtual cluster name is C, and the virtual sqlserver names are D and E. We have 2 instances of sqlserver named [D\Sql1] and [E\Sql2]. You can't use the default instance. Hope this helps.

Tom Goltl

• It turns out I was able to use the default instance... I checked Books Online, and the description of why the default instance checkbox is greyed out is because another SQL Server instance is already running on the machine. I didn't believe it the first time I read it yesterday, but sure enough, the Open Manage software that our server admins installed on the cluster installed MSDE and so there was in fact an instance of SQL Server already running. I uninstalled that, re-installed SQL Server 2000 Enterprise, and everything is working great. Thanks for the help!

• Will uninstalling MSDE cause any problems with Open Manage or any of Dell's system setup?

• Should not unless they are using MSDE and I don't think there are any common components between them. For safety thou I suggest either check with DELL, make a backup of the server, or when asked to remove shared components just assume NO.

"Don't roll your eyes at me. I will tape them in place." (Teacher on Boston Public)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply