sleeping connection limit

• One of my SQL Servers has 15,835 connected session with only 4 active. One application account has 15500+ sleeping connections with last batch date on most of them going back almost a month.

My other SQL Servers will see between a few and a few hundred sessions. Is 15,000 excessive? Could it be due to some app pool setting? Does SQL Server have an option to release connections that are idle for a period of time?

Thanks!

Howard

• SQL Server will not kill or drop any connection/process unless the service is initiated for a restart or referred from the client process

A sleeping session is waiting for its next command from the application, and is most like a pooled connection; in either case it isn't using any resources.

Have you checked whether your system is having some sort of hardware bottleneck or not ?

SQL 2000/2005/2008/2012 DBA - MCTS/MCITP

• kenneth.mofokeng (9/26/2013)

SQL Server will not kill or drop any connection/process unless the service is initiated for a restart or referred from the client process

A sleeping session is waiting for its next command from the application, and is most like a pooled connection; in either case it isn't using any resources.

Have you checked whether your system is having some sort of hardware bottleneck or not ?

I've asked the application team to look into it. A day later, this server is up to 16,900 sleeping connections from the same application account.

• Most applications have a configuration for their app pool connections...

Minimum number of connections, Max number of connections and sometimes a timeout if not used number.

• Markus (9/26/2013)

Most applications have a configuration for their app pool connections...

Minimum number of connections, Max number of connections and sometimes a timeout if not used number.

I've checked with the middleware team. They do have a limited connection pool. These connections are coming directory from the app server so vendor support may be necessary.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply