Scheduled task tries to log on to another server when run

• Hi,

I have created a scheduled task that gather data from the server that it's on. When I am try and run it I get the error:

Executed as user: NT SERVICE\SQLAgent$Instancename. Login failed for user 'Domain\Servername$'. [SQLSTATE 28000] (Error 18456). The step failed.

This is a SQL 2016 server standard, running in mixed mode.

There are other scheduled tasks on the server that run ok.

The login failure by Domain\Servername$ shows up in the error log on another server

Any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Kindest Regards,

BJ

• Maybe the environment variables in the job?

• Hi,

No environment variables are used in this job.

Kindest Regards,

BJ

• you did not supply enough details - what is the job and how does it connect to ANY server.

getting data out of a server can be done in a multitude of ways and each has it's own configuration requirements and sometimes permissions to filesystem/database requirements.

once you have those details, and depending on what the job is, you will need to look at how you can implement whatever process it is with correct configuration files  and/or parameter values.

• The job executes an sp on the local server, which does an insert, update and delete. All of these are done on the local server. It should not be connecting to any other server.

One thing I have noticed is that the sp and the tables used in this have their own schema within the database. There is also a Linked Server that has the same name as the database schema.  I have fully qualified the commands in the sp but it is still trying to connect to another server. I have also fully qualified the sp in the job step that calls it. [database].[schema].[storedprocedure]

Kindest Regards,

BJ

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply