Saving Time with Proactive DBA Monitoring

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Saving Time with Proactive DBA Monitoring

• Hi, Excellent article

I am working in a big environment where we have a Monitoring DB on each instance but i am still confused how do we set that up.

Can you help me in that

Regards

• nitin1353 (7/21/2009)

Hi, Excellent article

I am working in a big environment where we have a Monitoring DB on each instance but i am still confused how do we set that up.

Can you help me in that

Regards

Hi Grasshopper, thanks for your post. As I mentioned in the article - monitoring can be done either via a central server or from each server individually. Both are valid approaches. Can you be specific about which area you are seeking help about?

• I was talking about the latter one,with Each Monitoring DB on each instance.

Can you help me in setting this up

Regards

• nitin1353 (7/21/2009)

I was talking about the latter one,with Each Monitoring DB on each instance.

Can you help me in setting this up

Regards

Hi Grasshopper, the techniques I mentiopned in the article can be implemented as stored procedures in a database. The database can be rolled out in each individual instance and configured to send e-mails to a designated DBA.

How you implement the functionality (specifics of the actual monitoring procedures) is subject of further articles, code snippets etc.

• Thanks, please let me know if you can help me in creating the same environment

Regards

• There are plenty of scripts on this web site that can be used to implement database monitoring on your servers. The author gets you started with an outline of what to monitor, you actually need to implement the jobs yourself. Too many people are looking for the "easy" button and want things done for them, you will learn more by doing it yourself.

• Hi Sadequl Hussain

Can you share some of the scripts for stored procedures so that I aslo start work on that

AQ KHAN

• At the last three jobs I have had as a DBA I have set up “Dashboards”. The first was an ASP page that connected to each data server and executed code to monitor failed jobs, files and disk sizes and reported on other database statistics. The last two places I have used reporting services. In my current position I have set up a reporting services dashboard that has a color coded list of each production data server’s health. We have approximately 40 production databases spread over 10 servers.

Each server name links to another report the directly runs dynamic queries of the master and msdb tables to report on failed jobs, lists of disk drives and space used, server up time, version info and each database. The databases listed shows logical names, segments, size, space used, and growth type. I also run a monthly job that runs a defrag analysis and chkdsk with output to a text file that I import into a table.

When a job has failed it sends an e-mail to the IT department. The dashboard will list the failed job and links to a “run sheet” that lists: job name, level, contact, re-run instructions, location of scripts, output files, and links to log files. Anyone in the IT department can go to the reporting services report and see the health of the entire production database system and quickly identify anything that might need immediate escalation.

• Nice article Sadequl - love your work!

🙂

--Chris Hamam

Life's a beach, then you DIE (Do It Eternally)

• An easier way to distribute monitoring jobs is to use the master and target feature that way you can implement all your jobs or maintenance plans on a central server which then distributes and controls the jobs even holding the logs centrally and this way you are gurenteed that all monitoring jobs on each server are exactly the same so no inconsistencies creep in.

• I have already implemented such a design in my place. I believe much better to achieve the same is using the powershell, where you no need to create the linked server, as linked servers sometime can cause performance issues. Powershell is the best way to achieve the same.

• Is that only in SQL 2008 though? It would interesting to hear more about this, there seems to be so many different ways now, especially with 2008, to administer SQL accross a few servers that it's really becoming an art in itself, which one is best? I've tried several different approaches but am still unsure that my master target method in 2005 is the best, it's certainly best for keeping it consistent but what is more efficient?

• No need to have 2008. We can install on one server and can remotely access the data from the client server.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply