Randomly being logged out

• A few of us have mentioned it in the huge thread, but posting as a bug now. From time to time when I access SSC I'm not longer logged in. This issue is not specific to a device; I have this problem on my Work PC (Windows 10 Firefox), my Home PCs (Ubuntu 18.04 and Kubuntu 19.04 Firefox) and my phone (Android 9 Firefox).

Any ideas why we're randomly logged out from time to time?

• This topic was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by  Thom A. Reason: No one saw the autocorrect. No one... (Looking at you Phil.)

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Thom A wrote:

A few of us have mentioned it in the huge friend,

Who is this guy?

PS, the logouts happen to me too.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Just confirming that it's happened to me as well.  Intermittent problems are the worst things to troubleshoot.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Happened to me as well. Just noticed as I've been on holiday for a few days and went back to check something on my laptop and wasn't logged in.

I thought we had a 3-4 week caching of items from WordPress cookies, but maybe not. Actually filed an issue a few hours ago and then saw this.

• The note I got back on this is that the login is a timed item, but it's device independent, so you might not log in from a device (browser/machine/etc) in awhile and the login is < 2 weeks. I've asked the timeout for a cookie be increased to a month.

• Steve Jones - SSC Editor wrote:

The note I got back on this is that the login is a timed item, but it's device independent, so you might not log in from a device (browser/machine/etc) in awhile and the login is < 2 weeks. I've asked the timeout for a cookie be increased to a month.  

I find that unlikely to be the real answer here, Steve. I've ben logged out a work a few times, and I haven't (been lucky enough to have) had 2 weeks off in a row. I certainly visit SSC a few times a week at least on the office PC. I can speak less on home PC, as I recently got a new one, so I could have lapsed in logging into the PC for more than 2 weeks during the change over.

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• Yeah, I think there's something going on here, but not completely sure of the process. I need to get a complete explanation of how things work.

• I kept having the issue last week, it wasn't based on any times. It logged me out two or three times in one day. And I never touched my SSC cookies.

I also had pretty bad issues with posts not appearing last week. I'd get an email about a reply to a post, click the link, no reply seen - just my last post. I'd see the user and time as the last post when looking at the forum thread list, click that to get the last reply, post not there. I'd try with a different browser and not logging in, I could see the last reply and time in the list of the threads, click on the time to get that last reply and it wasn't there. Click on the thread and only see my post as the last one. I timed it just two or three times and the post would show up 20 or 30 minutes later - with the correct time of 20 or 30 minutes earlier. Just seems like something very odd was going on last week.

Sue

• Seems like it's still an issue, I just had to log back in, and I'd made posts this morning (on this device). Weird. :/

Thom~

Larnu.uk

• Same for me. I think something flushed last night or this morning. I know we deployed a minor change. This is still an open issue.

• Interesting. I missed the newsletter today, have an msn account and nothing was in the junk email.

But yesterday was a bit more odd. I'd click on the time of the last reply in Active threads and the last post wouldn't show up. So I opened a different browser and the list in Active threads was way behind what I was showing in my other active browser. So I then connected using Private window in Firefox - so not logged in. The Active threads was over 50 minutes behind what was showing in my logged in session. New connections were pretty badly out of sync.  That was most of yesterday. Later everything was back in sync with new connections but things really were badly out of whack for awhile.

Sue

• We had a bug with not logged in users, but didn't think it was forum related.

I'll have to try that a bit. Not sure what the private window does to regional settings.

• The other browser was just opening the site in IE without logging into SSC. I don't think any of it has to do with private browsing. The only difference is I didn't log in to SSC. But it seems the same threads would be shown whether logging in or not, which wasn't the case.

Sue

• There's a lot of caching that occurs, so some of that might explain this. Certain things, like Active threads are a heavy load if they're always real time.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply