Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA

• nogoodboyo (2/19/2009)

Not exactly DBA specific, but very useful non the less, is Log Parser and a nice free UI Log Parser Lizard.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=890cd06b-abf8-4c25-91b2-f8d975cf8c07&displaylang=en

http://www.lizardl.com/PageHtml.aspx?lng=2&PageId=18

ToDoList...

http://www.abstractspoon.com/

All are free.

Thanks for the tip! I am currently running a home-grown program to parse through a log file. Maybe one of these would be better.

• The Firefox add-ons mentioned are copies of features that have come standard in Opera for years.

If you want a real productive/powerful browser with a smaller footprint, try Opera 10 (although in beta, still the best browser I've ever used.)

• Not to forget delicious, which is browser, os, and whatever agnostic. I can lookup via iPhone or an equivalent PDA. Firefox-based tools are good, but not depending on Firefox is even better.

• The article was well done, but it was not really relevant to this site.

Since we are talking about firefox extensions, I find the del.icio.us extension to be top-notch personally.

---
    Timothy A Wiseman
    SQL Blog: http://timothyawiseman.wordpress.com/

• timothyawiseman (2/19/2009)

The article was well done, but it was not really relevant to this site.

Since we are talking about firefox extensions, I find the del.icio.us extension to be top-notch personally.

I believe it was put into the Career category because of the reasons that have been mentioned thus far. I didn't intend to make the weight of the article depend on Firefox because I understand there a good deal of people who cannot use it at work.

I find dropbox and TiddlyWiki very useful and they have nothing to do with Firefox.

Let me add a little bit more that I wish I would have included in the article.

For me, I can setup a dropbox account on my home laptop, home desktop, work pc 1, and work pc2. I can place a folder there called SQLScripts. I can place scripts I need access to anywhere in there and I'll be able to get to them pretty easily from anywhere. I can create a folder called documents and place whitepapers, great ebooks available through Red Gate, or anything else that fits that criteria. I can create a little app folder that has great free apps that can be found in David Bird's excellent series of articles here[/url] and here[/url]. There are other great portable apps (not SQL related) that are on the web that I put in there to help me as well. While I'm praising David Bird I will plug the series that has help me the most from him that can be found here[/url]. That one is a must read for anyone using SSIS.

If my article makes one person a better DBA(developer, whatever) then I am very happy that I have given something back.

And yes, I'm trying to thicken my skin as I learn from this first article 🙂

• I'm a little surprised at the "it's not DBA specific" statements. For those who don't know, yes, this site is focused on SQL Server, but it's not a DBA specific site. We've got developers, ETL experts, data miners, BI guys, report writers... just to name a few.

This article was about managing the flow of information as a part of your job and I think it was very pertinent to the work that we do here. From the article I've already ordered the book Get Things Done from Amazon and I'm looking at the TiddlyWiki stuff (although I'm still more than a bit confused by how I would work that with the existing management tools I have).

You guys need to lighten up. Not every article should be how to squeeze another 3ms out of your query.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Grant Fritchey (2/20/2009)

I'm a little surprised at the "it's not DBA specific" statements. For those who don't know, yes, this site is focused on SQL Server, but it's not a DBA specific site. We've got developers, ETL experts, data miners, BI guys, report writers... just to name a few.

This article was about managing the flow of information as a part of your job and I think it was very pertinent to the work that we do here. From the article I've already ordered the book Get Things Done from Amazon and I'm looking at the TiddlyWiki stuff (although I'm still more than a bit confused by how I would work that with the existing management tools I have).

You guys need to lighten up. Not every article should be how to squeeze another 3ms out of your query.

I would agree with you if the title had not specifically called out that it was for DBA's: Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA.

The complaint isn't that the article isn't "DBA specific". The complaint is that the article is not what it claims to be.

My blog: SQL Soldier[/url]
    SQL Server Best Practices:
    SQL Server Best Practices
    Twitter: @SQLSoldier
    My book: Pro SQL Server 2008 Mirroring[/url]
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, Data Platform MVP
    Database Engineer at BlueMountain Capital Management[/url]

• Robert Davis (2/20/2009)

I would agree with you if the title had not specifically called out that it was for DBA's: Organizational tools that can help you be a better DBA.

The complaint isn't that the article isn't "DBA specific". The complaint is that the article is not what it claims to be.

I guess we have to agree to disagree. I thought it was very much directed at better ways to get things done, one dba to another. Seems like a pretty valid point, but I could be wrong.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• I need a bigger staff of technical editors. 🙂

• Or I do!!!!! :w00t:

• Thanks Jason, great article!!!

I like the tiddlywiki, tks man.

Emiliano.

• you are very welcome Emiliano.

• Another super useful tool (and wow, wiki integration would just make it perfect) is mind mapping software. A good one is a commercial product called OpenMind2 by MatchWare, but the price is perfect for foss FreeMind which does it all minus a little Office integration.

Viewing 13 posts - 16 through 27 (of 27 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply