ODBC connections suddenly failing?

• Just throwing this one out there to see if anyone has any idea a) what might have caused this or b) resources to help try to figure it out...

We have an application that uses ODBC to connect to our SQL Server (2008). All at once, we were suddenly unable to use that application. Every other SQL Server connection method was working properly.

I reset the ODBC connections on all of the servers and things were fine - but I'm now trying to figure out what can happen that would cause ODBC connections on several servers to suddenly fail all at the same time. The fix was simply to manually run through the ODBC configuration wizard anyplace that was trying to connect to our SQL server.

Any and all ideas are welcome- I'm going to try to replicate the issue in a test environment so that we actually know what caused the situation in the first place. While it's an easy fix, I'd really prefer not to see this happen again!

Thanks in advance!

-Ki

• Not very sure but password reset / expire or OS upgrade (service packs / patches) may cause this problem. Did you notice anything similar on the server?

• Dev (1/10/2012)

Not very sure but password reset / expire or OS upgrade (service packs / patches) may cause this problem. Did you notice anything similar on the server?

The last patch of any type on the affected SQL server was 1/3, so no changes there. The ODBC connections are using windows authentication, so changes there, I would think, would affect individual users, not all connections to the server. And my service accounts are all set to never expire.

I've got absolutely nothing in the logs on any of the servers involved, either.

I'm currently chasing down the rabbit trail of DNS changes. We racked this server about a month ago, and put it into production first of the year. So I'm wondering if we somehow had a left-over IP address mapping from when it was being built that was finally flushed? I've never really dug into the way odbc stores its connections, so at least I'm going to learn something new while I dig into this!

-Ki

• I don’t see any harm in giving it (DNS changes) a try. Please let us know if it works.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply