NT Event log: how to turn warnings into errors..

• Background:

We have database maintenance plans to do our backups. Our backup file system filled up so the database backup failed. It generated a warning in the event log with the following text: "BackupMedium::ReportIoError: write failure on backup device '...'. Operating system error 112(There is not enough space on the disk.)." which is the standard SQL Server message 18210.

I looked in master..sysmessages and noted the severity on this error is 16.

What can I do so that the error gets logged into the NT event log as an 'error'?

Do I just need to raise the severity to 19 or higher?

Could not find much on this in the BOL.

I need it to be classified as an error so that our automatic paging software will pick it up.

Thanks.

- Brendan

• I don't know if you want to start changing error levels in sysmessages (though you could test in a development environment). As an alternative, are you using SQL Agent Mail? It can send messages as well upon job failures.

K. Brian Kelley

bkelley@sqlservercentral.com

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/bkelley/

K. Brian Kelley
    @kbriankelley

• I tend to agree with Brian. I looked around, but couldn't find anything on this. Everyone mentions writing event messages, but no-one has info on changing the category. I suspect one owuld have to delve into the Windows SDK.

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply