My Development Server Died!

• While the problem that I have at hand is not urgent, nor even detrimental, I do find it convenient, as I can gauge to learn something here. On Friday, I ran windows updates on my Sql Server 2000 Development Box. I use this box to restore 2000 sql server databases and run any number of queries against it as I figure out a solution. My footsteps is that I applied all the windows updates to this windows 2003 server minus the ie7 upgrade. I left at 6pm and allowed the system to complete on it's own w/ a reboot. When I came in on monday I noticed that my development server was not running. Well I went to check it out and noticed the service was off-line, when I try to run it I see it immediately stop. I cannot restart it in single usermode and I was not successful running the rebuild of the Master / System databases. What the event log tells me though is the fillowing error. However I am able to navigate to this directory w/o any issues and am able to see the master.mdf etc databases w/o any issues. I've googled around and it seems that I need to run the rebuild procedure (that or re-install) I'd like to know to fix it as perhaps one of the windows udpates killed my system and if so, I'll need to know how to fix it for many of our existing legacy sql server 2000 systems. Any help in the right direction is greatly appreciated, as I said this is a development system so I can pretty much do anything to the server (including rebuild). I don't want to upgrade this server to sql server 2005, as I already have one, and as I said we still have many Legacy servers.

Thank you,

----

17113 :

initconfig: Error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.) opening 'D:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server\MSSQL\data\' for configuration information.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

----

Francisco

-- Francisco

• Quick question - was this a licensed or evaluation version of SQL Server? If it was an evaluation version then it may have expired.

-SQLBill

• Also, have you tried rebooting the server in case the upgrades required a reboot and it didn't happen?

-SQLBill

• I forgot to add that to the original post, I did try rebooting the server and still no luck.

-- Francisco

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply