my backup maintenance plan is failing

• Hi friends my backup plan is failing from error logs i got this information. can any one throw some light on it.

3/6/2013

Executing the query "EXECUTE master.dbo.xp_create_subdir N'z:\\Core'

..." failed with the following error: "xp_create_subdir() returned error 3, 'The system cannot find the path specified.'". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [Core] TO DISK = N'z:\\Core\\..." failed with the following error: "Cannot open backup device 'z:\\Core\\Core_backup_2013_03_06_021517_6310479.bak'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [ReportServer$SRVR1] TO DISK = N'..." failed with the following error: "Cannot open backup device 'z:\\ReportServer$SRVR1\\ReportServer$SRVR1_backup_2013_03_06_021517_7770625.bak'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

BACKUP DATABASE is terminating abnormally.". Possible failure reasons: Problems with the query, "ResultSet" property not set correctly, parameters not set correctly, or connection not established correctly.

Executing the query "BACKUP DATABASE [SharePoint_Config_Dev] TO DISK =..." failed with the following error: "Cannot open backup device 'z:\\SharePoint_Config_Dev\\SharePoint_Config_Dev_backup_2013_03_06_021517_7990647.bak'. Operating system error 3(The system cannot find the path specified.).

• I think the key part is here:-

""xp_create_subdir() returned error 3, 'The system cannot find the path specified.' "

Does the sql agent have access to this drive?

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• how to find whether sql agent is having access to that drive or not. i am new and i dont know how to check

• The Z drive is a mapped drive on the backup server

• m.rajesh.uk (3/11/2013)

how to find whether sql agent is having access to that drive or not. i am new and i dont know how to check

Find the name of the service account and work with your sysadmin to verify the permissions. Since Z is mapped to a network location, you will need the assistance of the sysadmin to verify permissions.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Please how does one find the service account?

• select * from sys.dm_server_services lists both the db account and the agent account. the db account(SQL) is what is used for backups.

mapped drives are on a PER USER basis, and since that account never logs in, any auto-mapping for that account most likely never occurs as far as the domain login goes. i doubt very much the service account has any mapped drives.

If you get Error 3 is not exists, but after fixing it and you get Error 5, that is permissions, so you need to add modify permissions for the service account.

do not use mapped drives, use a full UNC path instead.

change the default backup directory, and the script if needed, to use \\backupserverName\Core\

Lowell

--help us help you! If you post a question, make sure you include a CREATE TABLE... statement and INSERT INTO... statement into that table to give the volunteers here representative data. with your description of the problem, we can provide a tested, verifiable solution to your question! asking the question the right way gets you a tested answer the fastest way possible!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply