MSDTC failover on SQL Cluster

• Dear all,

I have a SQL Server 2008 R2 ( RTM ) on a 2 Node cluster. couple of days back MSDTC service ( which is part of the cluster ) automatically failed over from active node to passive node.

What are the scenarios under which MSDTC fails over automatically

On the event viewer the following error messages were found.

1) A timout (30000 milliseconds ) waiting for a transaction response from the msdtc$***** service

2) Cluster resource MSDTC - ******* in clustered service or application failed

3) Distributed Transaction co ordinator service terminated unexpectedly

4) The clustered service failed to bring clustered service or application 'MSDTC Resource name' completely online or offline. one or more resources may be in a failed state.This may impact the availablity of the clustered service or application

SQL Server is inolved in Transactional and Merge Replication across 200 clients. However, when the MSDTC failover occured no major impact was felt by the application and SQL Server utilization was normal.

What can be the possible causes for MSDTC Autofailover?

• arr.nagaraj (10/8/2012)

What can be the possible causes for MSDTC Autofailover?

Could be anything, this is outside of SQL Server, have you checked the event logs and cluster logs for more detail?

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Hi Perry,

Thanks for the response. Yes. Checked it. The messages from error log have been posted on my first post.

There were Few replication failed jobs with the following error message.

Replication-Replication Merge Subsystem: agent <Job Name> failed. The process could not connect to Subscriber '<subscriber name>'.

Not sure whether they are related. Can please help? Thanks.

• As i said MSDTC is the OS level so troubleshoot there

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

• Thanks. Can you provide some possible reasons - roughly?

I noticed that Network Access have not been enabled for Clustered MSDTC under component services. Is that a possible reason?

• Network DTC access needs to be enabled, was it working\enabled before?

Without knowing a lot more about the system and access to the logs it's very difficult to say. MSDTC is a Windows OS component and can be affected by almost anything, network issues tend to be the big culprit

• Yes. Replication was working before but with intermittent error messages. Thanks anyways for your comment.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply