Lost SQL Server registrations

• We have 13 servers running 20+ instances of SQL Server.  Everything was fine on Friday and on Monday I came in and am missing all conguration for the SQL Server registrations.  I talked to NetAdmin/EAP and tech support.  Supposedly no network/infrastructure changes were made.

All I have is the top level groups, even the sub groups are gone.  I added everything back on Monday and now Tuesday morning everything is gone again.

Any suggestions on what causes this and how to fix it?

Joseph

• That settings are saved in the registry. Do you know anything that can be changing that?

• No, I don't know of anything that would be modifing my registry.  I will look further.

Thanks,

Joseph

• I have found the registry setting where the information is stored.  All the databases I registered yesterday are there.  Now I need to find why the Enterprise manager is not picking up the restistry settings.

Joseph

• i used to have this problem when my network password changed at my previous company - doesn't seem to happen where i am now though ...

cheers

dbgeezer

• None of my passwords have changed.

In the registry, I found where the groups and instances are.  I have played with it and it is only picking up the first group and first sql server instance in that group when Enterprise Manager is opened.  I have deleted/created/moved groups around.

I still do not know how to fix it, but the behavior is predictable.

Joseph

• I can't help you prevent the problem, but one way to easily correct it when it happens is to Export the registry key to a .REG file, and when your SQL Server registrations disappear, simply double-clickthe .REG file to merge the key values back into the Registry. Make sure EM is closed when you do this.

Works like a charm for me. Of course you have to remember to re-export the key if you change your registrations.

• I understand what you are saying, but I don't know how that will help.

All the information is in the registry, how does importing and exporting it help?  I will give it a try.

Joseph

• The current registry information is corrupt or not being recognized. The best thing to do is:

1. Delete all the registrations in EM. Delete all the Server Groups.
    2. Delete all the data values below the registry key containing the EM information. In my system (Win XP with SQL 2000 SP3) the base key is:

• [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Microsoft SQL Server\80\Tools\SQLEW\Registered Servers X]
      • I deleted everything under that key.

1. Open EM and register all your servers in whatever server group configuration you want.
      2. Close EM.
      3. Open Regedit or RegEdt32 and navigate to the above key (or whatever is appropriate for your configuration).
      4. Right click on the key and select Export. Specify a file name and destination (i.e. My Documents).
      5. Close Regedit (or RegEdt32)

Now next time you open EM and find your registrations gone follow this process:

1. Delete any stragglers left in EM and close EM.
      2. Use Regedit or RegEdt32 to delete everything under the base key above.
      3. Close Regedit.
      4. Double click the file you saved in #4 above. Respond "Yes" (or "OK", I forget which) to the prompts.
      5. Open EM. Your servers should all now be there.

Its kind of hokey, but if you have more than 2 or 3 servers or a complex server group structure then its worth the effort. Its better than manually registering every server.

Note: Editting the Registry is performed at your own risk. Neither I nor my employer assume any responsibility for the results of following this process.

• What version and Service Pack level of windows are you running?

• Windows 2000, sp4.

My co-workers (3 of us DBA's) were out.  They have the same thing happening.  Something has to have changed in our enviroment for all three machines to get wacked.

I am going to try the registry change this morning.  Thanks again.

Joseph

• I have had the same problem when my roaming profile got corrupted. It created a new on for me and did not associate the registry settings to the new profile. Do you use roaming profiles?

• Also check that you have sufficient permissions to be able to read those entries from the regsitry using your login, and make sure that no new group policies were put in place that you don't know about.

Shamless self promotion - read my blog http://sirsql.net

• I removed/installed SQL Server and it fixed it.  I will keep the last two postings in mind for the next time it happens.

thanks,

Joseph

• I have my SQL Server registrations disappear every time I change my password.  Is there a way to prevent this?

Is restoring them from a registry copy the best way to restore them?

Sue

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply