Log shipping throw errors

• I have log shipping set up on my database running on SQL Server 2012. It is scheduled to run Monday to Friday, 07:00 am to 17:00 pm. It runs perfectly in the alotted time but throws errors every two minutes for the time it does not need to run. Error below:

The log shipping primary database SQL\ORISYS.OrisysSQL has backup threshold of 60 minutes and has not performed a backup log operation for 170 minutes. Check agent log and logshipping monitor information. I never got this before it just suddenly started since the weekend.

Please can someone help me out here?

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Manie Verster (8/15/2012)

I have log shipping set up on my database running on SQL Server 2012. It is scheduled to run Monday to Friday, 07:00 am to 17:00 pm. It runs perfectly in the alotted time but throws errors every two minutes for the time it does not need to run. Error below:

The log shipping primary database SQL\ORISYS.OrisysSQL has backup threshold of 60 minutes and has not performed a backup log operation for 170 minutes. Check agent log and logshipping monitor information. I never got this before it just suddenly started since the weekend.

Please can someone help me out here?

You'll need to change your threshold allowances to suit your backup and restore timeframes.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Yes! I know but how and to what? I don't have a cooking clue. Can you help maybe, Perry?

:-PManie Verster
    Developer
    Johannesburg
    South Africa

I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me. - Holy Bible
    I am a man of fixed and unbending principles, the first of which is to be flexible at all times. - Everett Mckinley Dirkson (Well, I am trying. - Manie Verster)

• Are you bothered about the alerts during the weekend as well as the weekdays?

If so you will need to set the alert to 62 hours for a backup threshold if not then 14 hours.

To do the change, open up the log shipping configuration from the primary server and database and press the backup settings button, on that screen you should see "Alert if no backup occurs within" and you can then specify the threshold.

Edit.

You will then have to look at the restore thresholds as they will then start to error if it cannot restore due to no backups being taken.

Same as above, but then select the secondary and click the elipsis button next to the secondary database, and on the restore transaction log tab, change the "Alert in no restore occures within" threshold to match.

• Manie Verster (8/15/2012)

Yes! I know but how and to what? I don't have a cooking clue. Can you help maybe, Perry?

as Anthony said above really.

You could also use the stored procedures to do this via T-SQL instead of the GUI. On the primary use this to set the threshold

exec sp_change_log_shipping_primary_database @database = 'yourdb'

, @backup_threshold = 'backup_threshold in mins'

or disable the backup threshold alert using

, @threshold_alert_enabled = '1'

On the secondary up the threshold using

exec sp_change_log_shipping_secondary_database

@secondary_database = 'yourdb'

, @restore_threshold = 'restore_threshold in mins'

or disable using

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"Ya can't make an omelette without breaking just a few eggs" 😉

• Perry Whittle (8/15/2012)

Manie Verster (8/15/2012)

Yes! I know but how and to what? I don't have a cooking clue. Can you help maybe, Perry?

as Anthony said above really.

You could also use the stored procedures to do this via T-SQL instead of the GUI. On the primary use this to set the threshold

, @backup_threshold = 'backup_threshold in mins'

or disable the backup threshold alert using

On the secondary up the threshold using

, @restore_threshold = 'restore_threshold in mins'

or disable using

Shouldn't those 1's be 0's if you are disabling 🙂

Jared
    CE - Microsoft

• If I understood correctly, we are going to avoid false alert from 5pm to 7am by raising threshold value. Then, we will not be notified of actual lag in normal hours( 7am to 5pm)?.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply