Log shipping performing log backups despite its backup jobs being disabled

• Hi

Came across an odd issue this evening. Running a migration over the weekend that required log shipping backup jobs to be disabled, databases moved to another server, then backed up and moved back.

I noticed when moving things back that there are log backups in the folders for the duration of the time the jobs were disabled, and if I go to the Job History, sure enough, the jobs appear to have run every 15 minutes as they normally would.

It's late here so I could be missing something simple, but is there something else I should have done in addition to disabling the Agent Jobs in the GUI?

Many thanks in advance

Alex.

**Edit - Found the answer this morning.

• This topic was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  alexhdavies.
  • Thanks for posting your issue and hopefully someone will answer soon.

This is an automated bump to increase visibility of your question.

• Glad you found the answer.  Could you share it with the group?

I know I have not seen this issue before.  Generally though, I have a different habit.  I disable the schedule and create a new schedule for the job. The reason being that if I forget to turn the old schedule back on, the job will kick off again the next day.  This is especially helpful if I am doing "middle of the night" work where I may not be fully awake or if it is a process where I am likely to be interrupted.

The above is all just my opinion on what you should do. 
    As with all advice you find on a random internet forum - you shouldn't blindly follow it.  Always test on a test server to see if there is negative side effects before making changes to live!
    I recommend you NEVER run "random code" you found online on any system you care about UNLESS you understand and can verify the code OR you don't care if the code trashes your system.

• Though I guess you would then need to backup the secondary's log to keep it No, you cannot set the log shipping job to do copy only log backups. I've disabled them, but LSAlert raises errors since the databases being I want to know how much logshipping Jobs (Backup, Copy, Restore) affects server's performance.

paycheckrecords

• This reply was modified 2 years, 9 months ago by  Richard248.
  • This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• yeah. it is really simple - disable the jobs that dump the logs. there will be no log backups afterwards. To make sure You can check the job history just in case to verify the log backups don't keep happening but ... really. ... disabling an agent job means it won't run.

Now depending on who is doing programming in your sql enterprise...there is a possibility that some code runs somewhere that enables the job and executes it and then disables it again but that sounds far fetched .

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply