Log Shipping errors

• I am trying to set up log shipping to a database that will only be used for reporting, and am having trouble setting it up the way I want it.  I want to backup and copy log files to the second server every 2 hours but only want the restores to occur once a day.  I have set it up twice already and have modified the copy & restore start times and it has failed both times with this error:

[Microsoft SQL-DMO (ODBC SQLState: 42000)] Error 4330: [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]The log in this backup set cannot be applied because it is on a recovery path inconsistent with the database.  [Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]RESTORE LOG is terminating abnormally.

If I have multiple transaction logs in the folder that need to be restored I get an additional error that "the log in this backup set is too late to apply to the database"  (error 4305).  So I temporarily moved them and this error goes away.  I also can't find any helpful information about error 4330. 

Do I need to set up log shipping to create only one log backup per day?   Has anyone tried to do this before? 

Linda

• Try copying the files and restoring them at a 2 hr. interval (to correspond to the tranlog dump) so that the timestamps are maintained in sequence?  We have setup DR using log-shipping for certain "archive" databases at 1 hour intervals with no issue. 

But, instead of applying the transaction logs 1x daily to the target database, which will kill off any user connections anyway, you would be better off doing a full database dump/load and restoring that through a SQLAgent job on the target server.  It amounts to the same thing at the end of the day.

Regards, Melissa

• Thanks for the suggestion, but I've tested different log shipping intervals and got the same error.  I've also tested backing up the database, copying, and restoring to the other server and it takes too much time--and this database is growing fast.

But we may have found the cause of the problem.  The backups to tape had been backing up the log files at the time log shipping was trying to do a restore.  Thus the errors.  I knew this would be a problem days ago and had the backup operators skip the backup folder.  Today we found out that there was a second job doing the same thing.  This, too, has been disabled and I'm hoping to see a log shipping success tomorrow 🙂

Thanks,

Linda

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply