Load DataMart parallel

• Hi,
    What is the best practice for decoupling a DataMart (SQL2014) which is filled several times a day by the DWH via ETL load. The goal is that the end user is not impaired in terms of performance during a load.
    One option would be Scalable Shared Database. Or are there even more elegant solutions for this? Replicate, Cloud, Stretch DB ?  More than 20 Fact-Tables; all Layer on one Server;
    Regards
    Nicole

• info 58414 - Monday, September 3, 2018 8:22 AM

Hi,
    What is the best practice for decoupling a DataMart (SQL2014) which is filled several times a day by the DWH via ETL load. The goal is that the end user is not impaired in terms of performance during a load.
    One option would be Scalable Shared Database. Or are there even more elegant solutions for this? Replicate, Cloud, Stretch DB ?  More than 20 Fact-Tables; all Layer on one Server;
    Regards
    Nicole

There is no single best practice for doing this. But one way is as follows:
    1) Set up replication from your existing OLTP databases to another SQL 2014 instance, running on another server ('server 2').
    2) Run your ETL process using databases on server 2 as the source. Your DW should, ideally, also be on its own server/instance, to avoid impacting your OLTP systems.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Hi Phil,
    thanks for yout Posting. My Problem is not the OLTP Source-System, and not the DWH-DB. My Problem is the DataMart during the ETL-Load from DWH.
    Regards Nicole
    😉

• I understood this the way Phil did.  You didn't really spell it out clearly in your opening post.

What issues do your users have when the data mart is being loaded?  I've never had that experience before.  Especially if you process the database full, which isn't always an option, your users should only experience a momentary issue if they happen do be doing something while the new data mart is being swapped over.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply