Linked Server

• Is there any prerequisits to setting up a linked server?? I keep getting a 7399 error.

I am trying to link one sql 2k box to another.

Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

• Not that I know of. It's pretty simple. Can you post your code?

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Steve this is the code that I have tried most recent but I have tried every ideration in the help file.

USE master

GO

EXEC sp_addlinkedserver

'SQLPROD_PRDCPY',

'',

'MSDASQL',

NULL,

NULL,

'DRIVER={SQL Server};SERVER=sqlprod;UID=sa;PWD=******;'

GO

Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

• This is a the discription of the error message I get, the odd thing is that I am not trying to connect to an Access database I am trying to connect one SQL 2K box to another?????

""

Error 7399

Severity Level 16

Message Text

OLE DB provider '%ls' reported an error. %ls

Cannot start your application. The workgroup information file is missing or opened exclusively by another user.

Explanation

This error message returned by the Microsoft OLE DB Provider for Jet indicates one of the following:

The Microsoft® Access database is not a secured database and the login and password specified was not Admin with no password.

The Access database is secured and the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Jet\4.0\SystemDB registry key is not pointing to the correct Access workgroup file. Secured Access databases have a corresponding workgroup file, including the full path, which should be indicated by the above registry key.

Action

Verify that there is a login mapping for the current Microsoft SQL Server™ login to Admin with no password.

If the Access database being accessed is secured, make sure that the above registry key points to the full pathname of the Access workgroup file.

""

Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

• I am not sure what the problem is. I suspect your MDAC is not setup correctly. I ran your code, changing the server name and password only and it worked for me (W2K, SP2;SQL2K, sp1)

Steve Jones

steve@dkranch.net

• Do you know if it is using the MDAC for the PC that is being used to setup the linked server or is it using the MDAC for the server??

Steve Johnson

Steve Johnson

• Steve,

The server that your linked server was created on, is the version of MDAC, that is being used.

Edited by - cspangler on 10/09/2001 6:11:42 PM

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply