Kitchen Duty

• Gary Varga (6/16/2014)

It appears that there is almost a general consensus: if you accept drinks you should return the favour, if you do not then you are self-reliant and excluding oneself. Either one is in or one is out.

Neither of these options is problematic to me.

Yep, agreed.

I was kind of amazed by dishwashers at work; I've been used to having to take my own mug in, and wash it myself by hand, no less :-D.

• I think that ordinary people are quite capable of cleaning up after themselves, myself included. I leave the kitchen at least as clean as it was when I walked in. I would have no problem at all of having a rotation schedule as long as others didn't trash the place when it wasn't their turn. We have a relatively small office (~180 total staff in 2 buildings) as we don't have much of a problem with our kitchen. Having a dishwasher would be nice, but we don't. We have a cleaning crew that comes in every night, but they already don't do everything they're supposed to do.

There are some people who think that cleaning up after themselves is somehow beneath them and they're not going to do it. Coincidentally, I've found that this attitude carries over into their code on more than one occasion. Cleaning up after yourself and the "not my job" mentality speaks more to the attitude of the person as a whole. Personally, I'd rather be a person who is a part of the solution and not a part of the problem in most everything.

• I would be happy to pitch in and help. That is not much time at al and it makes for a more pleasant place to work.

• Especially in a small IT shop, one must wear several hats.

If one of those hats is 'kitchen duty', that's all right with me. Having a nice break-rook or canteen is a privilege, and helping keep it up is an acceptable trade-off.

• We have a cleaning crew clean the space on a weekly basis. But dishes are the responsibility of the users of them. As you might expect, some just plunk their dishes in the sink, knowing that someone else will eventually do them. Damn enablers! 😉

[font="Verdana"]Please don't go. The drones need you. They look up to you.[/font]
    Connect to me on LinkedIn

• We have no dishwasher, but we do have a common area where the is a fridge and hot water. If you dirty the sink or counter tops you clean it up. One staff tosses everything in fridge each Friday COB. Place stays clean and most are happy with it.

We do not do rounds, each has own cup and washes it as needed.

Over all question, how do you feel about kitchen cleaning? None or little cleaning is messy. Some cleaning usually keeps it well enough. A lot of cleaning like it is your job is silly.

It is only civil to clean up after one's self.

🙂

Not all gray hairs are Dinosaurs!

• I don't mind helping with the cleaning. We've organized one or two person volunteer cleaning teams to keep our lunchroom clean. The duties are pretty light - wiping counters and microwaves daily, cleaning the refrigerators once in a 2 week shift. That's maybe 5 mnutes a day plus 30 minutes to clean the fridge

We don't have a dishwasher and everyone is supposed to clean up after themselves. Occasionally, someone will leave dirty dishes in the sink too long and someone else will send an email to the entire office calling them out about it.

The biggest problem is with people leaving food in the refrigerators. The solution is to let everyone know when the fridge will be cleaned and warn that anything that isn't labelled with a name and/or date will be tossed in the trash. And follow through with it.

Greg

• We have a cleaning service where I work....however, my opinion is that I don't mind pitching in for things if everything is equal. If we lose the cleaning server, I'm not cleaning the kitchen - but only because I don't use it. When I was in the military, I had to take a turn cleaning bathrooms...that was okay with me because everyone else took their turn and I did use the bathroom. Then at one station, I was tasked with picking up cigarette waste. I politely refused since I didn't smoke...I gave the commander a good explanation and he agreed with me. From that point on only the smokers got assigned that duty.

So, I don't mind doing my part...whether it is cleaning something up or buying a round (drinks or food)....as long as I also benefit. Whether the benefit is that I'm using what I'm cleaning or getting a round bought for me...it's a benefit and I'll share in what it takes to get that benefit - or I will not take part.

-SQLBill

• It's just plain common decency to leave a community space as clean (or cleaner) than you found it.

Unfortunately, there's always someone (or many) who don't practice common decency.

I have worked so many places over the years where management has felt the need to post signs such as "your mother doesn't work here so pick up after yourself". Those don't work - you can't shame people into acting decently if they don't already have it in themselves.

• batgirl (6/17/2014)

...you can't shame people into acting decently if they don't already have it in themselves.

Unfortunately true.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply