Just Say No

• Yes, the word "if" exists in that example. The distinction is closing out the request completely versus keeping it open. Removing the last sentence doesn't change anything.

It's like if someone invites you out to eat and saying, "No, I won't be there, but if anything changes, I'll let you know." vs "I'm not sure, but we'll see and I'll let you know!".

The latter encourages the subject to be brought up again.

• Aaron N. Cutshall (11/25/2015)

Gary Varga (11/25/2015)

Some people struggle to take no for an answer so at times, as a freelancer, I have had to paint the picture of the most likely outcome if they push forward and evidence it being highlighted.

I then do as the client asks as the "customer is always right" and highlight the issues, more often than not predicted by many people including myself, as they arise in the most professional manner (no one likes to hear "I told you so").

The client then makes a call of how they want to proceed which is another opportunity to discuss the most likely outcome.

Unfortunately, it is a cycle that some people struggle to break out of.

What I struggle with is how clients (or managers, co-workers, etc.) who refuse such advice turn around and try to lay blame at your feet when things do go awry as predicted. I've had situations where I emphatically state popthat "It's not a good idea and here's why" yet the client wants me to proceed, and when it does blow up as predicted somehow I'm the one at fault! That's why I heavily document those situations for when it does hit the fan I then have proof of my objections and rationale to support me in the backlash. And the most important pr

oof? Getting all decisions in writing with dated signatures if all possible!

Hell, whenever I find myself in that position, I kust move on to fresh pasture. Covering my back side is just a tactical maneuver as I walk out the door.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• Eric M Russell (11/25/2015)

Aaron N. Cutshall (11/25/2015)

Gary Varga (11/25/2015)

Some people struggle to take no for an answer so at times, as a freelancer, I have had to paint the picture of the most likely outcome if they push forward and evidence it being highlighted.

I then do as the client asks as the "customer is always right" and highlight the issues, more often than not predicted by many people including myself, as they arise in the most professional manner (no one likes to hear "I told you so").

The client then makes a call of how they want to proceed which is another opportunity to discuss the most likely outcome.

Unfortunately, it is a cycle that some people struggle to break out of.

What I struggle with is how clients (or managers, co-workers, etc.) who refuse such advice turn around and try to lay blame at your feet when things do go awry as predicted. I've had situations where I emphatically state popthat "It's not a good idea and here's why" yet the client wants me to proceed, and when it does blow up as predicted somehow I'm the one at fault! That's why I heavily document those situations for when it does hit the fan I then have proof of my objections and rationale to support me in the backlash. And the most important pr

oof? Getting all decisions in writing with dated signatures if all possible!

Hell, whenever I find myself in that position, I kust move on to fresh pasture. Covering my back side is just a tactical maneuver as I walk out the door.

Pretty standard in business generally. Experts asked for their opinion then ignored when the costs are considered. I believe a number of famous disasters occurred in this manner.

Gaz

-- Stop your grinnin' and drop your linen...they're everywhere!!!

• I really find it hard to say "no" simply because I'm the only resource. If I can't make it happen, then the team member is out of luck and the result could impact the client (as our business is a service based business).

Due to that, I also get caught in many cases where it's a fire drill. This causes my work to degrade a great deal on projects I was working on and now being pulled off of to working so fast that human errors are bound to happen in my final results.

My only solution is leaning on my manager to be my filter to say "no" for me.

• Having worked as a consultant for most of my career (since 1985), I can relate to much of this discussion. However, never forget that you are dealing with a CUSTOMER (or client). They have a need and are asking for YOUR help. Sometimes the best help you can offer is explain why the request is mis-guided or to redirect them to a better source for service. That kind of customer service is rare and extremely valued by repeat customers! (Be sure to read the (How you say "No" comments below!)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply