Jobs vs jobs with steps

• Hi.
    I am trying to understand if there is actually any difference between using separate jobs for each step or one job with many steps. 
    I know the steps run one after the other, but apart from that?
    any ideas?
    thanks

• astrid 69000 - Friday, July 13, 2018 7:19 AM

Hi.
    I am trying to understand if there is actually any difference between using separate jobs for each step or one job with many steps. 
    I know the steps run one after the other, but apart from that?
    any ideas?
    thanks

If all of the steps are logically part of one process, why clutter up SQL Agent with lots of related jobs?
    If you have steps within a single job, you can configure the 'on success' and 'on failure' behaviour to control which steps are executed (or not) in the event of issues.
    Separate jobs can run on separate schedules.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• Yes I can understand that, I was trying to figure out if there was another reason, maybe something is carry within the job, I am trying to solve a bigger problem and I am looking at every possible solution.

• .. maybe something is carry within the job

Please explain what you mean by this.

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• I have an open post here about an issue that I have that sometimes my jobs run and run but nothing is going on. Jobs running indefinitely
    The job doesnt stop but doesnt do anything either.
    It is a step on a job that causes the problem (not always the same step).
    So I was thinking if separating the steps can be a wise option.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply