Issue with EM and QA server connection

• I have several SQL Servers registered under EM using NT Authentication. The EM is running under the current PC login account (not using run as).

The issue is that when I am connecting to some servers I am getting connected like the account that I log into the machine, but on some other servers I am getting connected with a different AD account (we are using AD).

Same thing in QA, when I connect to some servers I can see that I am connected with the PC login account, but on some with the other AD account, and is happening that "the other" account is an domain admin account.

How is this possible?

• Listen, find it out and DO TELL ALL OF US how to connect using domain admin account! This is so cool!

Do you have access to the domain admin account? Do the following: in the Task Manager in the View-Select Columns add User Name column and tell us who is running Enterprise Manager on your PC, make sure it is really your login acvcount as you say. Next, are we talking about Registered Servers or a mix of Registered and Linked Servers? Is the Dimain admin account a login in SQL Server on your PC (if SQL Server is installed on your PC). What accounts other servers have as startup accounts? What is in the Current Activity Processes window when you seem to be connected as Domain Admin?

Yelena

Regards,Yelena Varsha

• I am working from a Win 2000 workstation, I couldn't find the User Name in the options on Task Manager.

I am talking only about registered servers in EM or regular querys from QA using NT Authentication.

The domain admin account is not an account on my local SQL Server.

Other servers have a lot of different accounts as SQL Servers service accounts.

There is nothing special on the Current Activity\Process Info, just shows that indeed that account is used to log in to SQL Server.

• By default all Domain Administrator accounts are system administrators in SQL Server by virtue of membership to the BUILTIN\Administrators if it is persent. If BUILTIN\Administrators is not present, then Domain Administrator accounts have no authority within SLQ Server unless explicitly granted.

RegardsRudy KomacsarSenior Database Administrator"Ave Caesar! - Morituri te salutamus."

• When you select a database and open QA from EM it opens the QA with the ID by which SQL server is registered.

In Enterprise Manager go  to the server , righ click and see Edit SQL server registeration properties. May be all servers are not registered though windows authentication, if not register them all through windows authentication.

This will ensure registeration with your AD account.

Hope this helps...Iam still learning but give it a try.

Anurag Nayar

• All my servers are registered in EM with NT Authentication, the issue is that on some servers a different account then the one that I am log in into my PC is used to connect to the registered servers.

Same thing is valid in QA, on the same SQL Servers with the EM issue (not all, but some), if I use NT Authentication the connection is done using a different account then the one with what I am login into the local machine.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply