ISNULL

• So simple it was scary.... Where is the catch, the typo, the misguided reference?

Thanks for the question.

• Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2012)

Spent 15 minutes looking for the gotcha... (what do you want, after yesterday's question)

😀

Same here.

Rob Schripsema
    Propack, Inc.

• Nice straight forwards QOTD - thanks

-------------------------------Posting Data Etiquette - Jeff Moden [/url]Smart way to ask a question
    There are naive questions, tedious questions, ill-phrased questions, questions put after inadequate self-criticism. But every question is a cry to understand (the world). There is no such thing as a dumb question. ― Carl Sagan
    I would never join a club that would allow me as a member - Groucho Marx

• Hmmmm - where's the gotcha?

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• This question was easy. (Yeah, a little too easy) Surely, there was something I was missing, but after much contemplation there was nothing I could see that was a catch. Thanks for the question, I needed it today. 😀

Everything is awesome!

• Koen Verbeeck (8/8/2012)

Spent 15 minutes looking for the gotcha... (what do you want, after yesterday's question)

😀

/agree I was starting to get paranoid.... finally gave up and went with my gut answer.

Glad I got it right 🙂

--Mark Tassin
    MCITP - SQL Server DBA
    Proud member of the Anti-RBAR alliance.
    For help with Performance click this link[/url]
    For tips on how to post your problems[/url]

• Thanks for an easy one!

• After many years working in IT, I have learned that nothing is as simple as it looks at first sight, and 1+1 not always gives 2 as result (altough should do). Fortunatelly today this wasn't the case, and the expected result also was the right answer 😎

• Like many of you, I found this QotD [too] easy to answer. Perhaps it would have been a bit more challenging if an answer choice was "Error" :hehe:.

• Boosted my self-esteem after yesterday's question! :w00t:

• Michael Poppers (8/8/2012)

Like many of you, I found this QotD [too] easy to answer. Perhaps it would have been a bit more challenging if an answer choice was "Error" :hehe:.

That would've made it even worse! I probably would've spent half an hour staring at it and then another half an hour letting it sit in the back of my mind and toggling radio buttons before answering. 😛

Everything is awesome!

• Real easy question that I had to read over and over looking for the catch. Glad there was none.

"El" Jerry.

"A watt of Ottawa" - Gerardo Galvan

To better understand your help request, please follow these best practices.[/url]

• I was expecting to somehow get this one wrong and then be irritated with a false reason for why I was incorrect. Thankfully, there were no tricks! Thanks for the simple question.

• I too was looking for the catch. So I looked up the command in the help, just to make sure I wasn't forgetting about something obscure. Nothing weird, so I opened a query window in SQL 2005 and pasted it in. Still not believing it was that simple, I clicked Execute and got an error message stating that it couldn't find the stored procedure ISNULL. WTF There is a catch, but what is it!

After I cleared the line and re-entered it, it responded with the correct answer of 1.

What! I redid the original Paste, but it only responds with the correct answer. I really wanted to paste the error here, but I can't get it to repeat.

God I love computers!

• Ken Hiatt (8/8/2012)

Still not believing it was that simple, I clicked Execute and got an error message stating that it couldn't find the stored procedure ISNULL. WTF There is a catch, but what is it!

My guess: you had just the ISNULL part of the command selected (maybe you copy/pasted it to search Booke Online??) when you clicked Execute. If you click Execute while a part of the edit window is selected, only the selected text is sent to SQL Server for execution. This can be very handy when done ono purpose, or very confusing when done by accident! 😉

Hugo Kornelis, SQL Server/Data Platform MVP (2006-2016)
    Visit my SQL Server blog: https://sqlserverfast.com/blog/
    SQL Server Execution Plan Reference: https://sqlserverfast.com/epr/

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply