Is it necessary to manually start the full-text index population after creating the index with auto-tracking?

• I have the code below, where a full-text index is created with auto-tracking.

In the subsequent statement population is manually started.

Is that 2nd step necessary?

It seems redundant, as creating the index with auto-tracking should also start the population.

(I'm looking at someone else's code and want to check my understanding.)

CREATE FULLTEXT INDEX ON Table1

(

Description --Full-text index column name

Language 1033 --2057 is the LCID for British English

)

KEY INDEX pk_Description

ON ( Catalog1, FILEGROUP FTS )

WITH CHANGE_TRACKING AUTO

GO

--Start the Full Text index population

ALTER FULLTEXT INDEX ON Table1 RESUME POPULATION

GO

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• You're correct, the second step is unnecessary.

See this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187317.aspx, in particular in the remarks section for when you have to manually start a population. If WITH NO POPULATION was used, then yes, you'd have to manually start it. Since that's not in the above code, you're good to go.

You'd typically only do that when you wanted to prep the index to be populated during overnights for VERY large tables, and have it deal with the population crawl during slower hours.

- Craig Farrell

Never stop learning, even if it hurts. Ego bruises are practically mandatory as you learn unless you've never risked enough to make a mistake.

For better assistance in answering your questions[/url] | Forum Netiquette
    For index/tuning help, follow these directions.[/url] |Tally Tables[/url]

Twitter: @AnyWayDBA

• Craig Farrell (5/16/2011)

You're correct, the second step is unnecessary.

See this article: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187317.aspx, in particular in the remarks section for when you have to manually start a population. If WITH NO POPULATION was used, then yes, you'd have to manually start it. Since that's not in the above code, you're good to go.

You'd typically only do that when you wanted to prep the index to be populated during overnights for VERY large tables, and have it deal with the population crawl during slower hours.

Thank you, I was just looking at http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms187317.aspx as well.

Your feedback is very much appreciated.

__________________________________________________________________________________
    SQL Server 2016 Columnstore Index Enhancements - System Views for Disk-Based Tables[/url]
    Persisting SQL Server Index-Usage Statistics with MERGE[/url]
    Turbocharge Your Database Maintenance With Service Broker: Part 2[/url]

• Although the last part of the query is not necessary, it can help you, I can tell you from personal experience it does work if you find the status description stuck in start mode. 
    --Start the Full Text index population
    ALTER FULLTEXT INDEX ON Table1 RESUME POPULATION
    GO

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply