Installing SQL Server 2005

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Installing SQL Server 2005

Kenneth FisherI was once offered a wizards hat but it got in the way of my dunce cap.--------------------------------------------------------------------------------For better, quicker answers on T-SQL questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/Best+Practices/61537/[/url]For better answers on performance questions, click on the following... http://www.sqlservercentral.com/articles/SQLServerCentral/66909/[/url]Link to my Blog Post --> www.SQLStudies.com[/url]

• I think it would have been fairer to point out what SP version of SQL Server 2005 the question related to.

Given one tries to keep SQL Server updated are far as practical, just stating SQL Server 2005 does not imply there is a particular issue with an old SP version.

Regards, Murray.

• Murray, surely that wouldn't make a difference to the question as it states you are doing the default install with default options - no SP.

I got it right but took a chance as I felt like it was a trick question as, as far as I know, a single processor install works fine and that is an odd number too.

• I would have to agree with Murray on this, it would have been nice to know which level of the product it relates to.

All the media I have been working with included SP2 as part of the disk so I have never encountered this issue.

• I don't mind so much getting this one wrong, as I have learnt a lot along the way, and had a very interesting time trying to find the answer.

However, I do 100% fully consider this a trick question. Why? Because the author specifies the Service Pack when it comes to Windows Server, but omits it for SQL Server, which leaves you wondering therefore what is the correct answer, as it is very much SP specific. The default scenario would be to always maintain your servers with the latest SP, and therefore you would have at least SP2 (most likely SP3, maybe even SP4) on this SQL Server 2005 installation.

However, this question was about a previous (to current) version of SQL Server on a specific version of the SP, and the author deliberately omitted to specify that in the question.

That aside, a great question which, as I say, I had a great time researching. Thanks 😀

• No excuses people I mean if follow the question in your head, it fails before you get to installing any SPx so follow the question and its all in front of you.

• Got it right by process of elimination. The installs correctly almost had me but that would have been too easy. Obviously there was something that was going to go wrong. I knew the other two fail options weren't correct so it had to be the odd number of processors as the only correct answer.

Besides, that's weird to have an odd number of processors installed in a server. Personally, I've never seen that before but that doesn't make it impossible.

• SQL can't be installed on a single socket machine?

Carlton.

• Shark Energy (7/29/2011)

No excuses people I mean if follow the question in your head, it fails before you get to installing any SPx so follow the question and its all in front of you.

Not if the disc you installed it from is already with SP2 or 3... and there are plenty of those around, or for that matter if you downloaded it from an MSDN subscription with SP2 of 3.

Agree to disagree me thinks... 😛

• In the absence of an SP listed in the question for the SQL install, I'd assume he is referring to vanilla flavour.

Totally agreeing to disagree 😛

• Ah! an assumption... he he! not so clear then 😉

• Carlton Leach (7/29/2011)

SQL can't be installed on a single socket machine?

Carlton.

It can. One is a power of two (2^0).

According to the reference:

The ratio between logical processors and physical sockets is not a power of 2. For example, the computer has a single socket together with a triple-core processor.

Besides, the problem was fixed in SP2.

• I figured the question came up because of a real life problem - and therefore assumed it probably DIDN'T install correctly... but I still picked that answer assuming I'd learn something new this morning. Thank you for the information and link!

I think the question was fair. Good job.

• Thank-you for the question. It is good to know that such a bug ever existed with SQL Server.

Thanks & Regards,
    Nakul Vachhrajani.
    http://nakulvachhrajani.com

Follow me on
    Twitter: @sqltwins

• Went for the obvious answer of installs correctly given the information provided.

http://brittcluff.blogspot.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 48 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply