Installing sql 2012 named instance on production server

• Hello ,

I need to install sql 2012 named instance on my production server. The server already has a default 2012 instance.

What are the precautions that i need to take before installing the new named instance and also please guide how should I allocate memory to the new instance.

PS: the production server is very busy and cannot afford a re-start

regards

T

• There are no precautions. Except scheduling a maintenance window for a server restart after the instance install. You can put off the restart, but I believe there will be functionality issues until you restart the server. There's no way to get around it.

Just install the named instance as needed. Services for the default instance will not be affected. The new instance will have its own services.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Watch target memory for each server, and try to balance the load. It's up to you to somehow set this between instances.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply