Importing SpreadsheetML into SQL 2005 with SSIS

• I learned that this file format has been around, but this is the first time I have to work with it in SSIS. Excel doesn't recognize it, nor SSIS Excel task, but it has .xls extension. Does anyone has experience with this type of files? Thanks!

• Since it is some sort of XML specification for Excel, maybe try a XML Source?

Need an answer? No, you need a question
    My blog at https://sqlkover.com.
    MCSE Business Intelligence - Microsoft Data Platform MVP

• Tried XML source. Error with both inline schema and XSD. It was unable to parse the file. :(. Want to add one note, I was able to open the .xls file in Excel after clicking OK to confirm to Excel that it is safe to open. Data looks fine in Excel.

Still can't get a task in SSIS to connect and open this SpreasheetML file. Excel and XML source so far did not work.

• A bit of an ugly solution maybe, but would it be possible for you to use some sort of script task to open the SpreadsheetML file and then export it as a normal excel file?

• Thanks. But we don't have Office installed on server, and installing one for this one off case will not make sense license wise. However, save it as normal Excel does get rid of the confirmation pop up from Excel. So will try to investigate a bit more in that direction. Thanks for the tip.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply