How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt ?

• Janice Pratt (1/20/2011)

I have asthma, so the stress, heat, and twisting my neck up oddly to write on the whiteboard or point to the screen used to get me choked up and coughing.

Funny. My asthma requires me to keep my chest warm. I usually wear sweaters or layers of tees to make sure my lungs and chest don't get chilled in the air conditioning.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• I'm a little late on this one (didn't know about the question till I saw a link from The Thread). If you suffer from post-presentation insomnia or other stress symptoms, try taking 100 mg of vitamin B1 that day. It regulates sugar metabolism in the brain, and a surplus can help with just about anything stress-related. That should help with the "waking up several times in the following night" thing. May not fix it fully, but it should help considerably.

Brain chemistry is a complex thing, but it's all fueled by glucose, and a huge percentage of stress is adrenaline-induced glucose starvation in the brain and related parts of the central nervous system.

Don't balance it out in a multivitamin or "B complex" pill, specifically take just some B1. If you take a daily multivitamin with B1 in it, just add a B1 tablet to that to create an "excess". Grocery stores rarely carry it, but drugstores usually do, and vitamin stores always have some, in my experience.

Adrenaline increases oxygen uptake in affected tissues, increasing the burn rate on glucose. Muscle tissue, et al, can get by on other sugars or even burn its own protein content for fuel (that's bad, but works in an emergency) while the liver catches up on converting lipids to glucose, but the brain only eats glucose and can't cannibalize itself. That results in chemical effects that most people call "stress". Low blood sugar or a B1 deficiency can even result in depression symptomology, because of the same factors. The same factors are major players in hangovers (though most of that is just dehydration), so B1 can help with those too (but it works best if you take B1 before you go drinking, instead of waiting till the hangover is in full swing).

B1 deficiency can also cause nightmares, insomnia, and a variety of related phenomena, simply due to "brain starvation".

Don't go over 200 mg / day unless a doctor tells you to. Not dangerous to most people, just useless. It's water soluble, and your kidneys will just eliminate most of it beyond what your brain actually needs. If you really want to flush a bunch of B1 into the sewers (maybe to help aligators with their stress?), just flush some, don't bother filtering it through a system that's obviously designed to handle vitamin Beer more efficiently.

- Gus "GSquared", RSVP, OODA, MAP, NMVP, FAQ, SAT, SQL, DNA, RNA, UOI, IOU, AM, PM, AD, BC, BCE, USA, UN, CF, ROFL, LOL, ETC
    Property of The Thread

"Nobody knows the age of the human race, but everyone agrees it's old enough to know better." - Anon

• Thank you for the suggestions on the Beer1 vitamines. 😉

Added to the list.

Johan

Learn to play, play to learn !

Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly ...
    but keeping both feet on the ground wont get you anywhere :w00t:

- How to post Performance Problems
    - How to post data/code to get the best help[/url]

- How to prevent a sore throat after hours of presenting ppt

press F1 for solution, press shift+F1 for urgent solution 😀

Need a bit of Powershell? How about this

Who am I ? Sometimes this is me but most of the time this is me

• Interesting - I think I will add B1 to my regimen - reasons other than presenting.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• Just some feedback ...

I use 2 clocks ( mainly for myself ! ):

1) single beep notification: to drink a bit of water. Prevention measure no1.

This one is set into 10-15' intervals.

2) double beep notification: suggest little pause at the end of the (sub) topic ( very appreciated by smokers in the public 😉 )

This provides the means to relax for a couple of minutes

( even when some people of the audience come to you to pose some questions

or discuss on some topics )

Also provides an occasion to go to the rest rooms, which is needed because of the consumed water 😀

I set it to once an hour.

Shoot some questions to the audience and leave enough time for them to reflect, overcome "public timidity" and reply. And always try to close it up in a positive way.

This also provides a couple of seconds of rest for you.

Whenever a presentation hasn't been given for a while, rehearse it (including demo) until you're comfortable with it, so you know the slide order, topic sequence and demo sequence.

Johan

• I set it to once an hour.

I always set mine to 50 minutes..... then 10 minute breaks every hour...even just to stretch legs and get some blood circulation going.... One course I attended the instructor made us run round the room during the break to get the circulation going! 🙂

I don't always make the start time of the session at the top of the hour though, sometimes I set the start time at 15 mins past, and then carry on with that throughout the day....

Regards,

Dave

• Here's another list of tips 40 QUICK TIPS FOR SPEAKERS[/url] which do make sense too.

Johan

• ALZDBA (2/24/2012)

Here's another list of tips 40 QUICK TIPS FOR SPEAKERS[/url] which do make sense too.

I love that link. Thank you, Johan.

Brandie Tarvin, MCITP Database AdministratorLiveJournal Blog: http://brandietarvin.livejournal.com/[/url]On LinkedIn!, Google+, and Twitter.Freelance Writer: ShadowrunLatchkeys: Nevermore, Latchkeys: The Bootleg War, and Latchkeys: Roscoes in the Night are now available on Nook and Kindle.

• Last SQLPass ( summit 2014 ) a twitter conversation popped up mentioning Paul White lost (part of) his voice

Jes Borland @grrl_geek-2

@SQL_Kiwi You got your voice back, then?

... thanks to heroic efforts with magic tea and medicines from @KimberlyLTripp and @peschkaj among others, yes! It improved no end.

----

Woot! Good news Paul. I was hoping that the "Throat Coat" tea would help (I think it's amazing for speaking)!

----

Kimberly L. Tripp @KimberlyLTripp: @SQLDiablo @SQL_Kiwi @grrl_geek-2 @peschkaj It's an ABSOLUTE must for speakers that do multi-day classes and travel like mad-hatters (like us)

----

I got the details originally from @BrentO and now the circle is complete. 😉

----

Gotta love how the #SQLFamily works. 🙂

Kimberly also posted an amazon link to the product named "Traditional Medicinals Organic Throat Coat"

Conclusion:

If the gods tell you it's good, it's certainly worth the try :w00t::w00t:

Johan

• do not drink e.g. orange juice as it is very sour and sweet which is bad for your voice.

Johan

Viewing 10 posts - 31 through 39 (of 39 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply