How to Install?

• I attempted to install SQL Server 2000 Reporting Services on a freshly loaded Windows Server 2003 box. After copying lots of files, I eventually received two warnings:

-         ASP.NET is not installed or is not registered with your Web Server

-         Visual Studio .NET 2003 is not installed

Problem:

When I try to install Microsoft .NET Framework 1.1 Redistributable Package, which includes ASP.NET, the install says that it is already present on the server—probably because the operating system is Windows Server 2003.

Does anyone have a way around this? Or, maybe I just need to register ASP.NET with my web server. If so, how do I do that?

Additional question:

I had the impression that Reporting Services is server-based software. Is that impression incorrect? Since Visual Studio .NET 2003 is required, is Reporting Services end-user-based software, rather than server-based software?

TIA,

Jon

• This was removed by the editor as SPAM

• Can't answer the first question (how to handle the ASP.net issue) but my experience is that the VS.net warning can be ignored unless you need to develop on the server. So for example, I installed RS onthe server, ignoring the VS.net warning and on my workstation ignoring the IIS warning.

• Bill,

Thanks for your response.

I found part of the IIS problem: ASP.NET needs to be "turned on" in Windows Server 2003, as does FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions:

Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Application Server

[X] ASP.NET

Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs, Add/Remove Windows Components, Application Server, Internet Information Services (IIS)

[X] FrontPage 2002 Server Extensions

• You only need Visual Studio.NET if you are going to design your reports from the server. You can ignore this. The clients however require Visual Studion.NET. The report designer uses Visual Studio.NET as its IDE.

• Also be aware on Windows 2003 that even with ASPX on, ASP is by default off.  That won't affect reporting services (I think), but sure was a pain to find.  You do that from the Internet MMC not by installing it as a role or service.

And the enhanced security feature for internet explorer for Windows 2003, if on (the default) will keep LOTS of stuff form working within an IE session run from W2003 itself (not an issue if no one logs in there).

• This may help, he's written two articles on RS so far - http://www.databasejournal.com/features/mssql/article.php/3304481

------------

Ray Higdon MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply