How to Design Dimensional Model?

• Hi,

Can any one shed some light on how to Design Schema / Dimensional Model with an existing non Dimensional Data Warehouse, please?

Many Thanks,
    Sam

• I would start by picking up a book on the subject. Here is a good one by Ralph Kimball on Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling. This will cover his methodology to dimensionalizing a data warehouse with his best practices.

When I came into the industry, these books were essentially enough for me to understand how to approach the data warehouse. From there, it was just about good mentorship with local DBA's to help me understand the fundamentals that are needed to apply everything in this book.

• Quick question, what is the intended target platform?
    😎

• Hi Eirik,

The Intended target platform is SQL Server 2012 or higher.

• Honeeysha - Wednesday, May 23, 2018 7:07 AM

Hi Eirik,

The Intended target platform is SQL Server 2012 or higher.

Will you be using Multi dimensional or Tabular analytics models?
    😎

• Hi Eirik,

Please tell me for both Multi dimension and Tabular ?

Many Thanks,
    Raj

• xsevensinzx - Friday, May 18, 2018 6:19 AM

I would start by picking up a book on the subject. Here is a good one by Ralph Kimball on Data Warehouse Toolkit: The Definitive Guide to Dimensional Modeling. This will cover his methodology to dimensionalizing a data warehouse with his best practices.

When I came into the industry, these books were essentially enough for me to understand how to approach the data warehouse. From there, it was just about good mentorship with local DBA's to help me understand the fundamentals that are needed to apply everything in this book.

Raj, this is solid advice.  When I was in your shoes sixteen years ago, this book helped me to understand what I needed to know.  It sounds like you don't know anything, and there is no way in this forum that we can do more than point you.  There wasn't a Tabular model then.  So that does complicate things a bit for you.  You should do some reading on that.  Tabular is considered easier, but it won't go as high or handle some complex modelling as well as the Multi-dimensional model can.  But if you don't know MDX or DAX, DAX is considered easier.  Can't speak to that personally as I only know MDX, but I can attest that was not the easiest thing to learn.  Kimball does have a third edition of the book.  Try to get that if you can.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply