How to convert INTEGER to TIME

• My bad... looking back on this, I see where you took his suggestion early on. Sorry and thanks for the feedback.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Use below expression
    convert(char(8), dateadd(second, [int_datatype_column], ''), 114)

• dalviprasad31 - Monday, July 23, 2018 6:33 AM

Use below expression

I know you're a new user.

But you responded to a 9 year old thread in the SQL Server 2005 forum, with a solution that wasn't introduced until SQL Server 2008.

And your solution only works if the number of seconds is less than that in one day.  The OP stated this would be OK in his application, but we don't want to post generic solutions that others might read without realizing the limitation.

• gvoshol 73146 - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:04 AM

dalviprasad31 - Monday, July 23, 2018 6:33 AM

Use below expression

But you responded to a 9 year old thread in the SQL Server 2005 forum, with a solution that wasn't introduced until SQL Server 2008.

And your solution only works if the number of seconds is less than that in one day.  The OP stated this would be OK in his application, but we don't want to post generic solutions that others might read without realizing the limitation.

Microsoft's documentation has "SQL Server (starting with 2008)" even if it's something that's been available since many many versions ago (convert, dateadd). It's incredibly misleading for just about everyone.

Sue

• gvoshol 73146 - Tuesday, July 24, 2018 6:04 AM

dalviprasad31 - Monday, July 23, 2018 6:33 AM

Use below expression

There's nothing in that code that hasn't been around since (IIRC) at least SQL Server 6.5.  Like Sue said, MS has publishes dates for these things based on what they support and 2008 just went out of support. 

I will admit, though, that it doesn't solve the OP's original problem of returning the answer in the MINUTES:SECONDS format.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply