Help with XML Splitter De-entitization, please.

• Matt Miller (#4) (1/3/2017)

Hi Jeff -

I went into hibernation for a bit, only to come out and find you dabbling in XML..... Small wonders never cease I guess 🙂

I guess without spilling the beans too much - what was the purpose for trying to use the split string functions against the raw XML? I am just curious if were was a better way to get at what you're looking for.

Are you trying to infer the structure perhaps? I might have some tidbits to do so if that's the case.

It's for a small series of articles I'm working on called "The Devils in the Data". It's about some caveats that a lot of people don't expect for accuracy and performance testing. I'm using splitters to demonstrate because, as my good friend Ed Wagner would say, "It's a target rich environment". 😀

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Jeff Moden (1/3/2017)

It's for a small series of articles I'm working on called "The Devils in the Data". It's about some caveats that a lot of people don't expect for accuracy and performance testing. I'm using splitters to demonstrate because, as my good friend Ed Wagner would say, "It's a target rich environment". 😀

Ahh - Gotcha. I could see a few places in there, so yup!

Will keep an eye out for it 😀

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Your lack of planning does not constitute an emergency on my part...unless you're my manager...or a director and above...or a really loud-spoken end-user..All right - what was my emergency again?

• Just for fun, here is a JSON based splitter, nasty fast but not fully tested, SQL Server 2016 and later.

😎

CREATE FUNCTION dbo.ITVFN_SPLIT_STRING_JSON

(

@INPUT_STRING NVARCHAR(MAX)

,@DELIMITER NVARCHAR(250)

)

RETURNS TABLE

WITH SCHEMABINDING

AS

RETURN

(

SELECT

Y AS Item

from OPENJSON

(

N'[{"Y":"'

+ REPLACE(

REPLACE(

REPLACE(

REPLACE(

@INPUT_STRING,N'\',N'\\')

,N'/',N'\/')

,N'"',N'\"')

,@DELIMITER,N'"},{"Y":"') + N'"}]'

)

WITH (Y NVARCHAR(MAX) '$.Y')

);

• Mikael Eriksson SE - Tuesday, January 3, 2017 12:25 AM

That's an interesting techinque, i've never actually seen that processing-instruction command.
    I use this approach by throwing it throw a dummy lag function (SQL-2012+) that seems to work as well and remains crazy fast.

create function dbo.xml_split_with_lag(@input varchar(max),@d char(1))
    returns table
    with schemabinding as
    return select item = x.i.value('./text()[1]','varchar(8000)')
    from(select _= lag(convert(xml,'<r>'+replace((select @input for xml path('')), @d,'</r><r>')+'</r>'),0) over (order by (select 1))) a
    cross apply _.nodes('./r') x(i);

• Matt Miller (4) - Tuesday, January 3, 2017 7:45 PM

Jeff Moden (1/3/2017)

Ahh - Gotcha. I could see a few places in there, so yup!Will keep an eye out for it 😀

Heh... after 8 months, I've obviously gotten behind on that endeavor.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 5 posts - 16 through 19 (of 19 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply