Getting Close

• Comments posted to this topic are about the item Getting Close

• My guess for the SQL Server 2019 release date is August 31, 2019.

• My guess SQL 2019 launch is at the Microsoft Ignite day, November, 4th.

• Considering that SSMS 2018 only just came out officially, which is the first to support 2019 in full, I do wonder if it's sooner round the corner that we think. Personally I'm looking forward to it. We're looking at upgrading our instance at the moment and 2019 would fall well into the time scale (we're probably looking at about a 1 year turn around from compatibilty testing, proposal, dev, UAT and finally production). It's probably time to ask "nicely" for us to start spinning up a instance in the near future (just not sure how I'm going to get our 1970's back end application tested against it without taking out Dev ?? ).

Thom~

Excuse my typos and sometimes awful grammar. My fingers work faster than my brain does.
    Larnu.uk

• My guess for the release date is May17, 2019.

• My guess for the SQL Server 2019 release date is July 1st, 2019

• I would like my mug on JUNE 15, 2019  !!!

• June 17th 2019.

• June 28th 2019

• Oups wrong date I meant June 25th usually tuesdays

• Yes, it is a coming quickly.  I haven't even installed a SQL Server 2017 and 2019 is almost here.

• June 4 2019!

• Speaking of Intelligent Query Processing, does it have a functional dependency on Query Store?

One of my PMP goals for 2019 is to implement Query Store on all of our >= v2016 instances. However, an annoying limitation of Query Store, something I wish the SQL Server team would have addressed in v2017 or the upcoming v2019, is that QS doesn't work on AlwaysOn read-only replicas. What I mean is that QS is there, but it's disabled. So, if you look at QS on a secondary, what you're really seeing is replicated from the primary, which can be confusing until you realize what's going on. I know the limitation is because QS is enabled at the database level, and QS system tables are contained inside the database, but a sensible solution would be to support a centralized instance level QS database.

Actually, it's the read-only replicas where I could leverage Query Store the most, because that's what receives the largest volume of application queries. The primary is only used for ETL, and I have other options for monitoring that.

We're starting to see cool new features and tools built on top of Query Store, so let's get it working when and where it's needed.

"Do not seek to follow in the footsteps of the wise. Instead, seek what they sought." - Matsuo Basho

• My guess?  June 11th, 2019

• I'll guess on a delay or two, 30th September 2019.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply