Get a Percentage from Integers

• I have two integers that I need a percentage number from such as

50/5000 = 5.00%

I Know I ought to Cast out the datatype of the percentage etc... I do not remember what the formatting was... and didn't see it in my former posts many thanks for your help...

-- Francisco

• First point is that the result of your example equates to 1%, not 5%

Secondly, there is no explicit 'percentage' datatype. Not that it matters, as

select 50 / cast(5000 as float)

returns 0.01 and

select 100 * 50 / cast(5000 as float)

returns 1.0.

Regards

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

• awesome, thanks for the answer...

I found out I can also use a + .00 so my select would include

(Field1 + .00) / (Field2 +.00) and that also helped to give the desired value add a * 100 and convert to decimal 2,2 with the appended '%' and it all looks good to mgmt

your help is much appreciated

-- Francisco

• You may experience some "wierd" answers when using FLOAT because it does it's math in a binary rather than decimal fashion.

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

• Thanks Jeff - do you have any examples of this?

Phil

If you haven't even tried to resolve your issue, please don't expect the hard-working volunteers here to waste their time providing links to answers which you could easily have found yourself.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply