From DBA to DBAA

• My CEO gets the big bucks, they just announced his salary is 16 million.  I just get more and more work and the company has to cut budget for no reason.  We are earning money, but probably not up to the market expectation.  So we cannot get any help and get more and more work.  The morale is low.  Everyone works over 9 hours each day. 

These days the company does not appreciate employees anymore.  They think you should be happy that you have a job. 

• You have my sympathy, Loner. I work in city government, so I know we don't have executives with salaries like that! Unfortunately all too many companies are like that. Once upon a time, the CEO of Toyota (IIRC) was limited to earning no more than X amount of what the lowest paid worker made. That provided a pretty good incentive to improve the overall health of the company, including the salaries of all workers.

Today, there's a reason why HR deals in Human Resources. At a lot of companies we're just cogs in the machine, and the only thing that matters are executive salaries and dividends to the shareholders. Someone once said that "capitalism is not a form of government", unfortunately it seems that rampant capitalism has become so.

-----
    [font="Arial"]Knowledge is of two kinds. We know a subject ourselves or we know where we can find information upon it. --Samuel Johnson[/font]

• Thanks for good article and discussion.

• The idea is good but is DBAA started existing now? I never came accross. Did anyone heard about it?

• Good article- I like the technical emphasis as being key. This reminds me of a title I once had at a job- Enterprise Data Architect. The things I did was exactly the same as your article. The biggest challenges to being the senior dba and leading other dba(s) wasn't technical- it was executive sponsorship, insight and lack thereof. My team and I could design killer systems with quantifiable ROI however the people who sign checks generally did not understand what they were signing. It was a constant struggle- we know about capabilities but they only worry about costs. And somewhere in between it really is about the actual business and the processes used to support revenue generation and cutting costs.

An overall data strategy is key. Remember hearing about stovepipes within the intelligence community, and stovepipes within stovepipes? Same thing in the business world. Constant battles, politics- all people-related issues. Honestly, with the hardware and software to house data out now, it really comes down to people- they are the weakest link and the greatest assets too.

I for one, would welcome a clean slate in a commodity business. Design a company with instrumentation in mind from the very beginning. Meaning, create systems with reporting and business intelligence from the start.

Viewing 5 posts - 31 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply