Forwarded records

• Hi Guys,

I would like to run the [i']Alter table <tablename> rebuild'[/i] to fix forwarded records on some of our tables. I just would like to know whether this operation is expensive when doing it on a big table. Also, is this an online operation?

Regards

IC

• Yes, it's expensive (it's re-writing the entire table), no, it's not online.

Why don't you create a clustered index on the table, then you don't have to worry about forwarded records?

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • Unfortunately the application that connects to the database does not support clustered indexes. This is a vendor supplied database.

• Thanks Gail!

• Imke Cronje (5/13/2016)

Unfortunately the application that connects to the database does not support clustered indexes. This is a vendor supplied database.

What?

An app shouldn't be able to tell what kind of indexes are on a table.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • GilaMonster (5/13/2016)

Imke Cronje (5/13/2016)

Unfortunately the application that connects to the database does not support clustered indexes. This is a vendor supplied database.

What?

An app shouldn't be able to tell what kind of indexes are on a table.

I reckon its the vendor that is dictating this, happened to me too. We entered the CI VS heap debate.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply