For those who like a challenge Domain account problem

• We have a windows 2012 and sql 2012 environment.   Everything is Vmware.  A complex front end for one of the databases also lives on that server.    I didn't create this mess.    A clever developer wants to re-code the application.   We cloned the VM for him so he could work without affecting production.

The boss said upgrade everything on the clone to 2016.  We did an in-place upgrade for the OS.   I de-installed sql then installed sql 2016 and restored the databases without a hitch.  Then I tried to restore the security.  All the domain accts except for the one I made a sysadmin during the install generated not found error messages.    Most of the SQL security uses domain accts, so this is not good.     Then I tried to make one of these domain accts a local admin.   Windows found the acct I tried to add, but after selecting it and pressing ok, an error message said it was already in the local admin group.     Of course it wasn't actually there.

In my opinion, the OS in place upgrade caused these oddities.    I'm thinking we may have to create a new windows 2016 VM and copy the complex files to it.   Then install 2016 sql and restore the databases and security and batch jobs on that clean install.   Of course the app will very likely not work, but I don't know what else to do.

Any advice?  I've already gotten a large cappuccino with extra foam.

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

• we fixed this.   After leaving the Domain and rejoining, the problem went away.     Further!

When the snows fall and the white winds blow,The lone wolf dies but the pack survives.

Once you've accepted your flaws, no one can use them against you.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply