external email addresses not working in RS

• I can setup subscriptions to work with internal email address, i.e, addresses on our local network and it works great, but when I try to setup a subscription and the TO address is an external email address, not in our local network, it fails to deliver. The message is: "The e-mail address of one or more recipients is not valid." Any ideas about what's going on and how it fix this. Thanks.

• Is your email server set to allow relay from the Report server?

• I Know that it IS not set up to relay, how does a userid and pwd get passed on to the email server? (exchange)

-- Francisco

• I don't think UID and password are the issues for relaying.  You would need to tell your email server to allow relay from the IP address of your report server.  If you are running Exchange 2000, this is found in the properties of the SMTP virtual server.  Under the Access tab click the Relay button, and add the server IP to the list.

Jim

• We are running an older version of Exchange, I'm almost sure we are not even on 5.5

-- Francisco

• You will need to check on the documentation for the version in use.  Version 5.5 added features for controlling SMTP relaying.  In that version you turn on relaying, but you add routing restrictions to prevent spammers from using your email server.

Good luck!

• Wouldn't this create a likely risk of spam? If all messages through IP are relayed. I have SMTP authentication enabled on our mail server and properly configured in RS. The purpose of enabling authentication was to avoid possible abuse by users on the mail server.

• Hi,

I have this issue with external emails not working with Reporting Services.

I read the comments regarding relaying with interest but I am a little worried about changing anything on the exchange server in case i bring everything crashing down.

Also I can send external emails via Database mail in SQL Server 2005 Management console - which is using the same SMTP server as Reporting Services.

That leaves me a little confused as to why it works for Database mail and not Reporting Services, irrespective of the relay settings on the exchange server.

Regards,

Lee.

• To AJ Rembert

You stated that you have authentication enabled on your email server and have Reporting Services configured to work with that. How did you configure the RS config file for that?

• The way we finally setup our email was to enable smtp on the RS server since it has IIS, and locked it down for the local IP 127.0.0.1 and enabled relaying to our exchange server where we added an email userid /pwd that we use specifically for just emailing reports.

hope this helps.

-- Francisco

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply