Extended Procs

• Dscheypie (10/1/2013)

MarkusB (10/1/2013)

Not sure about this question.

I think there is no correct answer given, because even the link provided for SQL 2014 says "Topic Status: Some information in this topic is pre-release and subject to change in future releases"

Since SQL 2014 is not released yet, you can't be sure what will be in it or not. So I would have chosen "None of the above"

No, Markus, Dave62 is right!

Look at this document:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms143729(v=sql.120).aspx

There also it is stated that this feature still exists and will be refused in future times. Just look for the key word "XP_API".

Or did I misunderstand you? You think that because it is pre-release it might change until the official release of SQL Server 2014? Then of course forget my remark above. I myself fought with this detail and decided to ignore it 😉

Best regards

Jens-Peter 🙂

Edit: detail etc.

Unless MS have radically changed their deprecation-removal policy, that fact that the Sql 2012 documentation lists the XP stuff (apart from 3 specific XPs) as available in the next release but to be removed some time in future", which can't be dismissed as pre-release, can be taken as definitive. I will be very surprised if they have adopted an "oh, we told them it wouldn't be withdrawn yet but we'll withdraw it now anyway even though there's not now time for them to change their stuff in time to adopt SQL 2014 any time reasonably soon" policy instead. If not because of the inevitable damage to revenue, then for the effect on how well their customers trust them.

Tom

• Stewart "Arturius" Campbell (10/1/2013)

I remember SQL 2008 & R2 and 2012 warning that this will be removed in a future version. It appears that 2014 still carries that warning.

I wonder if this will ever be removed...

I ponder the same thing.

Jason...AKA CirqueDeSQLeil
    Learn Extended Events

• I guessed right, on the basis that very little deprecated functionality ever seems to get removed.

Someone will now post a massive list to prove me wrong 😀

• sknox (10/1/2013)

. . . Can anyone explain why this should still be around when CLR has been available to replace its functionality since 2005?

Deprecating this would necessitate massive changes to SharePoint.

• Revenant (10/2/2013)

sknox (10/1/2013)

. . . Can anyone explain why this should still be around when CLR has been available to replace its functionality since 2005?

Deprecating this would necessitate massive changes to SharePoint.

Also, removing the ability to write extended SPs from customers while still supporting a very large and visible collection of XPs writen and released by MS would look a bit silly, and they still haven't managed to replace them all with something other than XPs (although they often don't use that prefix). But look, another 3 MS XPs (with SP prefex, of course) are withdrawn in SQL 2014, so they are gtting there (slowly).

Tom

• Dana Medley (10/1/2013)

Koen Verbeeck (9/30/2013)

Nice question. Never even heard about it, made me do some research.

+1 Good question. Never really used these, so it was good to do some research on it.

Exactly. It made me dig little more than usual. I found following link:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms164743(v=sql.120).aspx

I found this "This feature will be removed in a future version of Microsoft SQL Server. Do not use this feature in new development work, and modify applications that currently use this feature as soon as possible. Use CLR Integration instead."

Though it also stated "Topic Status: Some information in this topic is pre-release and subject to change in future releases"

Don't know if I found the correct source but I got the answer correct.

• Never used it, looked at technet, found the announce too!

bad guess alas!

Viewing 7 posts - 16 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply