Execution Location

• The owner of an application won't let me connect to her database because she is concerned about negatively impacting the peformance of her app (which is currently very slow).

If i create a view or stored procedure one computer and it contains a select statement that includes a join of tables that exist in multiple databases on mulitiple servers, where does the execution occur? I think that it is on my server but am not sure.

TIA

Dean

• How are you writing the join?

AFAIK, the servers must be linked somehow. You cannot create a join on your workstation that connects to two servers and does a join. It could connect to two servers, run queries on those servers (execution on each server), then join the results on your workstation.

• Steve's correct. Further, some degree of processing will occur on both of the servers, no matter what. Bare minimum, depending on what kind of server you're linking to and how you write your TSQL query, the data has to be read from the linked server in order to be filtered & joined or whatever on the second server. No option. Do you need real time access to that other database? If not you can get a backup & work on it locally. Just an example. There are other options.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• Oh, and, I'd offer to help her work on her performance issues in order to clean up her system enough so that you can connect to it.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply