Exam 70-461

• Hi,

Ive just ordered the book: Querying SQL Server 2012 Training Kit. I am planning to take the exam 70-461 within 3 months. My question is: Will this book be sufficient enough to study to pass the exam. Are there any other resources anyone can recommend to make sure I have a good chance of passing.

Thanks

• I'd say it would depend on your experience. I've been using T-SQL for over 10 years and passed the exam in January using mainly that book. I used it to top up knowledge of elements of T-SQL that I was a bit rusty with, and to learn the new features of SQL Server 2012. If you're inexperienced with T-SQL, then you might struggle just using this resource. Books Online is your friend! Use the book to get an overview, then dig in deeper with other resources.

-----------------------------------------------
    SQL Server posts at my blog, Grapefruitmoon.Net[/url]

• Thanks for your advice. I think ill start with Books online.

• Microsoft exams typically include questions that require knowledge not specifically spelled out in the official exam prep books. This is because they want you to have real world work experience too.

If you currently have a job where you work with SQL Server 2012, my suggestion would be to apply what is in the books to actual work tasks as much as possible. If not, do your experiments on your training system, particulary with features that are new in SQL 2012.

• Sorry but can anybody explain me whats exam 70-461 , i mean to which version it deals and whether it is for administration or development

• 70-461 is Querying Microsoft SQL Server 2012

Here's a summary:

http://www.microsoft.com/learning/en/us/exam.aspx?ID=70-461#fbid=NV3hLp0Fd64

• Yes, the book is suffecient to prep for the exam. But you will also have to practice with SQL Queries in SSMS.

For people working with TSQL and 5-10 yrs of work-x you just need to know the new stuff been introduced in SQL 2012, that's it. The whole exam is just on Querying the Database tables, that's it.

For exam details and on what to prepare for 70-461 Exam check the following blog post:

Link:http://sqlwithmanoj.wordpress.com/2012/11/16/passed-70-461-exam-querying-microsoft-sql-server-2012/[/url]

• dbman - Wednesday, March 6, 2013 2:50 AM

Hi,Ive just ordered the book: Querying SQL Server 2012 Training Kit. I am planning to take the exam 70-461 within 3 months. My question is: Will this book be sufficient enough to study to pass the exam. Are there any other resources anyone can recommend to make sure I have a good chance of passing. Thanks

Just curious after 5 years... did you ever take the exam?

--Jeff Moden

RBAR is pronounced "ree-bar" and is a "Modenism" for Row-By-Agonizing-Row.
    First step towards the paradigm shift of writing Set Based code:
    ________Stop thinking about what you want to do to a ROW... think, instead, of what you want to do to a COLUMN.

Change is inevitable... Change for the better is not.

Helpful Links:
    How to post code problems
    How to Post Performance Problems
    Create a Tally Function (fnTally)

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply