EM errors

• When I navigate through the list of DBs in EM on our dev box I get an error... but only for those that have the taskpad view selected. If one is in normal view and I switch to taskpad then fine but if I click on one that is taskpadded(?) by default then error.

Error is

res://C:\Program%20Files\Microsoft%20SQL%20Server\80\Tools\Binn\Resources\1033\sqlmmc.rll/Tabs.html

Any ideas?

My client was upgraded to XP Pro (SP2) last week with the client tools reinstalled but I haven't had any problems until now. I persued the production server from my client and get the same error. A look at sqlmmc.rll (in notepad) shows html and javascript.

• If you fix it, let me know 😉

I've had this for years now.

Sorry I can't be of any real help.

• I don't know how to fix it long term but you can select view, large icons and then switch back to task pad.

I think most have complained about this at some point.

HTH

• I dont think I know of any DBA's anywhere that haven't had this at some point

It would be nice to think we didn't get anything like this in 2005

• It helps me if I just close EM and restart again. But hey, that's only with my installation. I'm using SQL 2k with SP3a.

Not a real problem. Just a slight nuisance.

• I'm afraid I can't offer a solution but I do have another workaround.

When I get the message, I select Default Database Diagram view, a dialog tells me there is no Diagram and offers to build one. I reply NO and voila, I see the taskpad.

I too am waiting for SS 2005 and hoping this problem is gone.

In the meantime, I'll be watching this thread in the hope someone has a fix.

• I googled for it after posting here (should have done that 1st!)

I see it's an EM bug.

Strange that I've never come across it (approx 18 months) and then come across it on 2 separate machines (client and server) and it continued throughout the day.

Oh well, no biggie.

Thanks

• You will not see this error in SQL Server 2005, since SQL Server 2005 does not have Enterprise Manager. The new replacement for EM (and QA) is called SQL Server Management Studio, and you will be happy to know that it is a much more able application than the (imho) lousy EM.

• I haven't even looked at 2005 (beta) yet, I get the feeling I'll be left behind once it goes live. I'll get a chance to have a look when I go to TechEd (NZ) next month

• When error appears in EM click yes then select View -Large Icon and a large icon appear. Then selected TaskPad in View. Now if you select a DB the page appears correctly. the file sqlmmc.rll is a javascript file

• I have been playing with SQL2005 and cant find the taskpad. How do I view the taskpad? Has the taskpad been renamed?

TIA

Michael

• I hit this error this morning for the first time myself. Thanks for the Large icon change quick fix!

But now I have the same question as above. How do you show a similar view using SQL 2005's Server Management Studio?

• I miss the "lousy" application EM because SSMS is missing key functionality - including the view taskpad type of option. I'm looking for a replacement for the lost functionality and hoping that someone that used this feature (ie answered this post) can point me to a replacement for this functionality in SSMS. I particularly liked the General Tab and it's visual list of files and amount of space used (and the same for the tables and associated indexes).

• Chris Hedgate (7/25/2005)

You will not see this error in SQL Server 2005, since SQL Server 2005 does not have Enterprise Manager.

No applications - no errors.

I should think about this way to fix bugs. 🙂

The new replacement for EM (and QA) is called SQL Server Management Studio, and you will be happy to know that it is a much more able application than the (imho) lousy EM.

SQL Server Management Studio just does not have Taskpad at all.

That's negative, not positive side of this application.

And I already discovered some errors in it. Real errors.

Like incorrect handling of tables with non-ascii characters in column names.

EM works with it perfectly.

Management Studio combines functionality of 2 former applications: EM and QA.

Can you name any single improvement in SQL Server Management Studio comparing to EM + QA?

• Hi there

I'm not sure if this is what you are looking for ...

SQL Server Management Studio just does not have Taskpad at all.

That's negative, not positive side of this application.

...but you could try this:

1. Click on a database in the Object Explorer

2. Make sure the Summary tab is displayed

3. Click on Report ...

4. ... and select for example Disk usage from the selection of reports

The Takspad is missing, yes. But they have left some bits and pieces lying around. It's a matter of finding them.

BTW, the above trick for the disk usage does not work for databases above a certain size. We have a database that has 800 GB and the report just fails.

- hot2use

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply