Downgrading from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2012

• I wonder if an msdn subscription would help, ie., let folks gain availability to the various versions of install media that could then be used for an actual licensed install with downgrade rights?

• Ok. I repeat the last time my question.

I haven't SQL Server 2012 media.

I need to prepare a SQL Server 2012 installation having SQL Server 2014 installation.

It is possible to downgrade from SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2012.

No databases are present on the machine to host SQL Server 2014 to downgrade.

Now, how can I execute to downgrade SQL Server 2014 to SQL Server 2012?

Does anybody know how can I accomplish this task?

• Adding, another time, that I need to prepare a new database machine with no SQL Server installed.

What do I uninstall and install? No SQL Server software is installed. What do I uninstall???

Thanks

• As has been stated...

You need the 2012 installation media. If you bought SQL 2014 with downgrade rights, contact whoever you bought it from and ask for the 2012 iso, once you have that, install that.

There's no magic switch that makes the 2014 media install 2012. You need the 2012 media. Whoever you bought 2014 from should be able to supply you with that.

Gail Shaw
    Microsoft Certified Master: SQL Server, MVP, M.Sc (Comp Sci)
    SQL In The Wild: Discussions on DB performance with occasional diversions into recoverability

We walk in the dark places no others will enter
    We stand on the bridge and no one may pass
  • pmscorca (7/23/2014)

Ok. I repeat the last time my question.

I need to prepare a SQL Server 2012 installation having SQL Server 2014 installation.

First of all, we are trying to help so help us do so!

You will have to obtain the installation media as the first step. Your real question should be rephrased to "how to obtain an installation media for SQL Server 2012?" For that, contact Microsoft!

😎

• pmscorca (7/23/2014)

You promise?

😎

• pmscorca (7/23/2014)

I think this is a valid question, and I can imagine a need for new instances of prior version servers. Obviously this means that if your vendor requires 2012, you don't go purchase 2014 however, unless you have access to 2012 media.

Something like http://www.postgresql.org/ftp/source/

edit: didn't mean to imply I had an answer, its just that I can understand the situation that would generate the question.

• pmscorca (7/23/2014)

I don't use the Retail channel to buy SQL Server.

I repeat that I know that SQL Server 2014 has rights to downgrade.

Simply, I want to know how technically I can downgrade a SQL Server 2014 installation

to a SQL Server 2012 installation on a new database server that hasn't any databases.

Thanks

Download the 2012 bits from MSDN and use your 2014 license to do the install.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:
    SQL Server Execution Plans
    SQL Server Query Performance Tuning

• It is possible with access to the source code, lots of time and a great staff of developers.

• This thread is hysterical :-D.

• Just to keep the comedy going.....

If you have the license key from your SQL Server 2014 installer you should be able to use it on the SQL Server 2012 media. Microsoft have the ISO files on their web site (with no pre-populated license key) for public download:

Eval from here http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=29066

And you can get the media with SP1 included (Slipstream) at http://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/download/details.aspx?id=35575

Regards,

Phil

• I have a SQL 2014 Express instance that a developer installed. Currently, we do not "officially" support SQL 2014. I want to move the 2014 database to a 2012 consolidated instance. Can I backup/restore a SQL 2014 database to a SQL 2012 instance?

Thank you...

KU

• SequelDBA (4/27/2015)

I have a SQL 2014 Express instance that a developer installed. Currently, we do not "officially" support SQL 2014. I want to move the 2014 database to a 2012 consolidated instance. Can I backup/restore a SQL 2014 database to a SQL 2012 instance?

Thank you...

You'll get a lot more people viewing your question if you were to open a new thread. The only people likely to see this are the ones who have posted or subscribed to this thread.

But, to answer your question, no. You can't. There are structural changes in how the data is stored and how backups are generated that makes it impossible to restore a backup within SQL Server from a higher version to a lower version. You'll need to migrate the data using SSIS, bulk load processes, or a third party tool.

"The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood"
    - Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

• As this has been a problem since the beginning of time, one would have hoped MS would have come up with a solution to create a backup into a previous version of MS SQL on the source DB. I get that they make structural change BUT they also know what the old structure was.... they should at least allow for one version downgrades.

We like to refresh our Dev databases from production but as our Dev server is 2012 (and we have one client using 2014) we can never refresh the Dev instance for that client - which makes problem replication on our Dev / Test server close to impossible.

Any ideas on how to lobby for this feature in future versions?

• craig-962225 (1/21/2016)

As this has been a problem since the beginning of time, one would have hoped MS would have come up with a solution to create a backup into a previous version of MS SQL on the source DB. I get that they make structural change BUT they also know what the old structure was.... they should at least allow for one version downgrades.

We like to refresh our Dev databases from production but as our Dev server is 2012 (and we have one client using 2014) we can never refresh the Dev instance for that client - which makes problem replication on our Dev / Test server close to impossible.

Any ideas on how to lobby for this feature in future versions?

The one mechanism you have is Connect[/url]. However, I have little faith in it. The fact is, there's little monetary incentive for Microsoft to make it easier for you to go backwards. Forwards, yeah, but not backwards.

- Theodore Roosevelt

Author of:

Viewing 15 posts - 16 through 30 (of 33 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply