Creating a generic audit trigger with SQL 2005 CLR

• Comments posted to this topic are about the content posted at http://www.sqlservercentral.com/columnists/dziffer/creatingagenericaudittriggerwithsql2005clr.asp

• I have to say that, as far as database design and good coding practices go, this solution is definitely not something that I would recommend. Your idea of having a single audit table with Row-Id (1) works only for single-column primary keys, and (2) would result in HUGE overhead for inserts, updates, and deletes whenever more than one column is affected. If I insert one row into a table that has 80 columns, your trigger would add the additional overhead of inserting 80 rows, one per column. No way would a well-educated DBA allow or encourage this to occur.

This type of coding/behavior is a more OO approach to database development and I've seen a lot of inexperienced-database-developers-who-are-good-application-developers design such tables. OO to Relational mapping is hard, no question, but a relational database is not object-oriented and, when you try to make it such (as with this generic design), you are causing more headaches than creating an audit table and trigger for each table. IMO, this is an example of the reasons most DBAs will not allow CLR code to be executed on their server. This is just an example of a .NET programmer doing something in .NET that should be done in T-SQL.

Scott Whigham

LearnSqlServer.com - tutorials for SQL Server 2005 and SQL 2000

• Totally agree with Scott on this one.

What happens if you delete 250 000 rows from a table with 80 columns???

How do you recreate the whole history of a single row with a select query??? (All the columns of the row at each version of its life).

BTW I didn't read the whole thing but I seems you are having problems identifying the base table name from within the trigger.  Maybe you can use this code somehow to extract the basetable name (from sql 2000).

Select Object_name(Parent_obj) as BaseTableName from dbo.SysObjects where id = @@PROCID

Where @@PROCID is the id of the trigger in sysobjects.  This variable is available and set within the trigger and any other procedure for that matter.

• Agree.  Stick to VB.

It does give some good insight into .NET, tho.

• I would have gotten more out of the note if the lines didn't extend past the limits of my fully expanded browser. Recommend either not preformatting the text or using a more reasonable line width.

• My god... I have to agree with the previous posts. This type of trigger is a wholly bad idea. Besides the massive amounts of overhead in splitting each column out from the table for each update, there will also be the contention between tables as evey table in the database attempts to write to a single audit table.

And as RGR mentioned, how do you get this data back out overly complex SQL queries?

• Any of you nay sayers (not that you are wrong) have any better plans?  What do YOU suggest?

• A solution to this problem has already been created on this site.  Search the script section with the keywords triggers and (generated, concatenated... sorry don't remember the name).

Basically it's a script that creates an audit table for each table in the system.  It also creates the trigger that audits the data.  I don't remember if it creates only the code or if it generates the objects as well.  But it was working great as far as I remember.

• I have a template that I put together for CodeSmith that I use. It works for a single or multiple tables. Though I should probably update it for SQL Server 2005 to possibly use an audit schema for the audit tables.

• I don't think it's a good idea to audit ALL tables in the database.

For the most important tables (which usually are small so the overhead is minimal), I use the following solution (SQL 2005):

The logging table (only one for the entire database):

create table DMLLogs(

DMLLogID int identity primary key,

TableName nvarchar (128),

DateCreated datetime DEFAULT (getdate()),

OldValues xml NULL,

NewValues xml NULL)

The trigger for the table which you want to audit; The only thing that needs to be changed for another table is the table name. You can use the solution presented early in this post:

Select @TableName = Object_name(Parent_obj)

from dbo.SysObjects

where id = @@PROCID;

in this case the trigger will be exactly the same for all audited tables

create trigger MyTable_T_Log on MyTable

for insert, update, delete

as

declare @i xml, @d xml

set @i = (select * from inserted for xml auto)

set @d = (select * from deleted for xml auto)

exec LogDMLEvent

@TableName = 'MyTable',

@Deleted = @D,

@Inserted = @I

The procedure LogDMLEvent is:

create procedure LogDMLEvent

@TableName sysname,

@Deleted xml,

@Inserted xml

as

if @Deleted is not null or @Inserted is not null

insert into DMLLogs (TableName, OldValues, NewValues)

values (@TableName, @Deleted, @Inserted)

you can include in this procedure (and in the DMLLogs table) also the user name, connection info ....

So in the logging table you will have xml representations of inserted and deleted tables. You can very easy put them into a view to mimic the original table structure (one view for each table).

• How do you scan this table to recreate the history of a row(s)? Or to rollback a group of transaction?

• We can argue on any solution for Audit. Whether to create a history table or create a generic table with information about only the data changed and do not worry about the deletes (or design the table in a way whether their is no physical delete but just logical ones).

What I have learned from experience we cannot have BEST Pratice design or coding style as it changes drastically from project to project. Just go with the follow.

I will still thank the Author to have his idea on the table.

Kindest Regards,

Amit Lohia

• It's possible to see how the data in the table looked at a previous moment.

The table being defined as:

create table MyTable (

a int not null primary key,

b int,

c int,

description varchar (100)

)

The function MyTable_History will return the data from the table as existed at the @Date moment.

create function MyTable_History (@Date datetime)

returns @r table (a int primary key, b int, c int, Description varchar (100))

as

begin

insert into @r (a, b, c, Description)--make a copy of the table.

select a, b, c, Description

from MyTable

declare @inserted xml, @deleted xml

--We will apply all the changes made to the table in the reversed order

declare c cursor local for

select OldValues, NewValues

from DMLLogs

where DateCreated >= @Date

order by DMLLogID desc

open c

fetch next from c into @Deleted, @Inserted

while @@fetch_status = 0 begin

if @Inserted is not null and @Deleted is not null --update operation

update @r set

b = T.c.value ('@b', 'int'),

c = T.c.value ('@c', 'int'),

Description = T.c.value ('@Description', 'varchar (100)')

from @r R inner join @Deleted.nodes ('deleted') T(C)

on R.a = T.c.value ('@a', 'int')

if @Deletedis null --insert operation; must be deleted

delete from @r

from @r R inner join @Inserted.nodes ('inserted') T(C)

if @Inserted is null --delete operation; must be inserted back into the table

insert into @r (a, b, c, Description)

select T.c.value ('@a', 'int'),

T.c.value ('@b', 'int'),

T.c.value ('@c', 'int'),

T.c.value ('@Description', 'Varchar (100)')

from @Deleted.nodes ('deleted') T(C)

end

close c

deallocate c

return

end

go

The shortcoming is that this function does not handle correctly cases where the primary key (column a) was changed as a result of a update operation.

Also it will be very slow on large tables. For those it will be more efficiently to directly update the table, as the following procedure does:

create procedure Recover_MyTable

@Date datetime

as

begin tran

declare @inserted xml, @deleted xml

declare c cursor local for

select OldValues, NewValues

from DMLLogs

where DateCreated >= @Date

order by DMLLogID desc

open c

while @@fetch_status = 0 begin

if @Inserted is not null and @Deleted is not null --update operation

update MyTable set

b = T.c.value ('@b', 'int'),

c = T.c.value ('@c', 'int'),

Description = T.c.value ('@Description', 'varchar (100)')

from MyTable R inner join @Deleted.nodes ('deleted') T(C)

if @Deletedis null --insert operation; must be deleted

delete from MyTable

from MyTable R inner join @Inserted.nodes ('inserted') T(C)

if @Inserted is null --delete operation; must be inserted back into the table

insert into MyTable (a, b, c, Description)

select T.c.value ('@a', 'int'),

T.c.value ('@b', 'int'),

T.c.value ('@c', 'int'),

T.c.value ('@Description', 'Varchar (100)')

from @Deleted.nodes ('deleted') T(C)

end

close c

deallocate c

commit tran

go

You can test the procedure using the following code:

begin tran

go

--load some data into the table

insert into MyTable (a, b, c, description)

select 1, 2, 3, 'first inserted'

union all

select 2, 3, 4, 'inserted'

waitfor delay '0:00:01' --wait a second because SQL has only 3 ms time resolution and we risk to have the same timestamp

declare @d datetime set @d = getdate() --store the time

waitfor delay '0:00:01'

-- change the data

insert into MyTable (a, b, c, description)

select 100, 2, 3, 'inserted'

union all

select 200, 2, 3, 'inserted'

update mytable set b = 5

delete from mytable where a = 2

select * from MyTable --watch the current data

exec Recover_MyTable @d --recover the old data

select * from MyTable --the changes are undone

go

rollback

That's it.

PS. Does anyone know how to insert tabs in the message ?

• When I read this article, it seemed like an absolutely correct concept for METADAT tables.  I think it grossly inefficient for large DATA tables, hoewever.) Except:

1.  It never showed either the original inserted or complete deleted record.  Fields are shown only for updates.  Adding the fields for deletes shouldn't put too much burden on the system on tables that have a small portion of deletes. 

2.  Assembling views of a record at any point in time would take some (clr) programming, but the logic could be built once and used for all tables.

3.  Similarly, the difficult logic of using an audit trail to rollback a table to some pervious state could be programed just once for all audited tables.

4.  It simplifies the task of identifying all the changes made by an individual during a time frame regardless of the table involved.  I think this single source is a good auditing tool.

My biggest problem, however, is that I can't make it work.  WHen I try to compile just the shell of the code, I find the compiler will not allow me to skip the Target attribute in

<Microsoft.SqlServer.Server.SqlTrigger(Name:="AuditCommon", Event:="FOR UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE")> _

I wonder if this article, which was originally written before SQL2005 was released, is now out of date and MS no longer allows it.  It seems the author anticipated this when he wrote:

''' Note that the "SqlTrigger" attrbute does not contain one of its normal tags; namely it does not

''' specify any particular table. We don't know if it is Microsoft's intention to allow table-agnostic

'''trigger code, but this works and we hope that it keeps working.

• Stan Hargrove: Thanks for trying out my solution. I don't understand why you had a problem with compilation of the missing Target attribute though. I compiled the code in the article in July 2006 just before publishing it in SqlServerCentral, and it worked just fine. My version is:

Microsoft Visual Studio 2005

Version 8.0.50727.42  (RTM.050727-4200)

Microsoft .NET Framework

Version 2.0.50727

Installed Edition: Professional

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005   77626-009-0000007-41371

Microsoft Visual Basic 2005

- The author

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply