Client Connection Performance Issues

• Hello, everyone!

I am being plagued by slow connection performance to all servers in the company I work for.

The servers in question are Win2k boxes running MS Sql Server 2000. One of the servers is a quad xeon w/ 1 terabyte storage, so this is not a server issue.  I believe it is a network issue of some type.  All servers are in California, and I am in Texas over a 10 half duplex connection.

Here's where the problem gets a little muddied:  My primary machine is a P4 w/512mb ram, and it has always run slowly on sql connections.  I was just recently assigned a new laptop, Pentium M 1.8Ghz w/ 512mb ram.  When I first received this laptop, my SQL connections blazed; I could connect to a server and open a local dts package in design mode within seconds, as well as execute batches in query analyzer in seconds.  However, one day, the sql connections slowed down to exactly mirror the performance of my desktop machine.  It now takes MINUTES to connect via Enterprise Manager and open a package, minutes to edit an existing stored procedure, and up to 10-15 seconds to return a single row of data from a table containing < 20 rows using Query Analyzer.

Also, executing anything using the ADO object in Visual Basic blazes along in seconds, where executing the same code in query analyzer takes up to 10 times as long. 

The problem arose literally overnight, and there have been no software or other changes to my machine, no network infrastructure changes, and I am on the same network domain as the servers.

Does anyone have any ideas or suggestions for troubleshooting?  I am getting absolutely no support from our IT group.

Thanks in advance, Luke

Luke

• Are you connecting via ip or naming? Sql authentication or windows authentication?

• Connecting via hostname using windows authentication.

Luke

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply