changing DTS StepName logging

• I Wonder if somebody can help on this : I'm using logging of our DTS-Packages (both to msdb and to an ASCII-File). Unfortunately, the logging of the steps are created as (example) : "Step 'DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1' succeeded" . I would like to have the "StepName Description" in the logging instead of the "StepName" . Does somebody has a solution for this ? Thanks for the help.

• Open your DTS Package in EM. Then double click each item in the package, they all have description fields, this is where that comes from. Also, if you have any transformations double click the transformation line and give it a description.

• Thanks for your answer but all our Descriptions ARE customized. The trouble is that DTS logs the StepName (which is a name as "'DTSStep_DTSDataPumpTask_1" and not the "Customized" Description.

• See what you mean now. Looks like an incomplete feature. I find no way to get the details either.

• You can modify the Step name via Disconnected Edit. Be careful, you can screw things up if you forget to change one property. eg: The task name is also a property of the Step so you have to change it in both places.

Myself, I implemented logging tables in the application database and extracted the information I needed from the MSDB tables.

Here's a script I wrote to extract Error code and Description,

http://www.sqlservercentral.com/memberservices/updatescript.asp?Approve=y&scriptid=556

Thanks

Phill Carter

Edited by - phillcart on 11/19/2002 7:18:22 PM

--------------------
    Colt 45 - the original point and click interface

• Many thanks for your hint about the "Disconnected Edit". I tried it and this will help us a lot. I'll also take a look at the script.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply