Career In SQL?

• Hey this is my first post here I need advice from the experts.  I have a BA in finances but started  working with excel which I became almost master level and intermediate level in VBA. I then began to work in t SQL and become proficient in queries and stores procedures. I also began Using SSRS pretty heavily. I dabbled SSIS and HAVE NO CLUE what SSAS even does. I enjoy SQL. I believe I want to create databases for company because it seems like a challenge and designing is something. Is there a profession for this and what certificates would be needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

• vince21williams - Sunday, January 29, 2017 3:50 PM

Hey this is my first post here I need advice from the experts.  I have a BA in finances but started  working with excel which I became almost master level and intermediate level in VBA. I then began to work in t SQL and become proficient in queries and stores procedures. I also began Using SSRS pretty heavily. I dabbled SSIS and HAVE NO CLUE what SSAS even does. I enjoy SQL. I believe I want to create databases for company because it seems like a challenge and designing is something. Is there a profession for this and what certificates would be needed. Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Not an expert but thought I'd give you some feedback.
    With having skills in Excel, VBA, SQL, SSRS you certainly have a set of skills that employers involved in IT in the finance world often ask for. One thing to keep in mind is that the things you've been doing and purely designing databases is a lot different. It sounds like you may be looking more for a database developer position at this point and those jobs (like others) can vary with what you actually do on a day to day basis. But your interests are certainly in a marketable profession. I think experience is more important than certificates. There are plenty of people who seem to collect certificates but they also may not have real world experience. Knowing what you need to in order to pass a test is different than knowing what you need to in order to fix real world problems or address real issues. Unless maybe you got a job at Adventure Works Cycles.  But overall from what you've done, what you like, what you've dabbled in you have a pretty good career path ahead of you. You may want to think about getting into some database or SQL related positions at a company involved finance in some way - it just gives you an edge to get in the door. You often pick up new skills in jobs or have opportunities to move to other positions. There are pros and cons to both large and small companies that you may want to think about. Small shops you tend to have a bigger variety of tasks but you may not have as much mentoring. Not always true but a lot of times that is the case.
    And then large shops people can feel pigeon holed into a certain skill set. But you do have more opportunities to move around, possibly more to learn from coworkers. A lot of times its six of one, half dozen of another type of thing.
    You can pick up more skills by following forums (and this one is definitely one of the better ones to follow for SQL Server) , trying to solve some of the problems and then seeing what others have presented for solutions. After awhile, you'll just know answers to some of those questions and will end up replying to more posts and offering suggestions. It's a good way to keep up with things going on in the SQL Server world.
    You may want to see if you have a SQL Server users group in your area - checking for PASS chapters would be a good idea. Here is the link to their site: 
    PASS
    You may also want to see if SQL Saturdays comes around your area - here is the link to their site:
    SQLSaturday
    The reason I posted those is not just for the education, networking value but I've seen employers who are often more interested in someone being involved in the SQL community in some shape or form rather than certificates. Not that certificates are bad but they aren't necessarily the holy grail either. You could start by just taking one or two of the Microsoft exams for SQL Server (they do have one geared more towards t-sql, database design, etc) at a point when you feel comfortable. Even with one you have your MCP (most of them anyway). But having one cert, having experience and being involved in the SQL Server community would leave you in a very marketable position. You already have some skills that would have make you marketable in the SQL Server world. Spend some time going through SQL Server job postings - it will give you a better idea of what places are looking for in your area.

Sue

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 1 (of 1 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic. Login to reply